Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove Images from Google Search Results?? Please help!

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by bamme, Jan 1, 2010.

1. bamme

bamme Senior Member

Hi all,

Happy new year! :)

Right, well over Christmas, I've helped some images that upset a person close to me to be removed from the net that were quite personal to them.

these would have been quite entertaining if you didnt know them or how the pics came about, so quickly went quite viral so to speak and featured on a lot of pages around the net. these have since been removed and im happy i could help track down and contact the people hosting the pages.

but when i search google, and google images, the results still appear. when you click a picture, you a get a 404 error, but the fact is theyre still there - same with the website listings.

i think i can remove website listings by reporting to google that the pages are no longer there(am i right?) but does anyone know how to remove the images from the image serarch result? and is it any different?

really involved in this now! Would like to do this asap. i know its not design related question, but i thought id turn to the forum where i trust people have a lotta knowledge, and are nice enough to help me out so much :)

thanks!

2. tim

tim Senior Member

jazajay or harry or sunburn or tbwcf or maybe onartis would know better than me (or the rest of the forum)

but isnt it something to do with the cache, kinda like your own browsers cache, purely because they dont search for your results each time, but only search once for that search and every other user who searches those words gets those results for a week/two...?

wild stab at that

3. Harry

Harry Senior Member

Hehe larf :D

I think that it'll just take time for Google's index to realise the images aren't actually there, then drop them.

4. tim

tim Senior Member

which is basically what i meant... :p

5. bamme

bamme Senior Member

thanks guys. Can i not hurry google up? :)

@tim: your sig haha, i loved that episode.

6. Greg

Greg Active Member

7. Alex L

Alex L Senior Member

Could you ask the sites involved to set up a robots.txt file to stop Google from displaying it. Not sure if this would help or if the sites would do it...

Good luck though.

8. tim

tim Senior Member

well the file doesnt exist anymore so they couldnt ask it not to list it

9. Alex L

Alex L Senior Member

Does it matter that it doesn't exist. All it's doing is telling the search engine that it isn't allowed to look here?

10. tim

tim Senior Member

if you're saying dont look at public/blah/blah/blah then yeah probably no problemo but if you're saying dont look at one file, tha's a bit differentio i thoughtio...?

11. Alex L

Alex L Senior Member

Hmm... you're telling it not to take it from a given source say .../picture.jpg rather than the image itself.

If you uploaded something else in its place with the same name, the robots.txt would still work.

I'll have to test it some day.

12. tim

tim Senior Member

oh now i see what you're saying.

you know, i actually have no solid idea, im just guessing :p

13. bamme

bamme Senior Member

Ah thanks for these greg. So.. i either ask these big american company people ive pestered so much to remove this poor persons content to now add a robots.txt file?? For each image appearing on Google (to be honest i dont really think thats too possible even if that is a way of removing them..but would that work?)

I also read this in a post within the first link:
    is that true?