Reliable Web/Email Host

Hi Guys,

Now I've literally lost it with the hosting firm I currently use Streamline.net - Web hosting made easy

I believe they used to be a very good reliable British company but have been bought out and are now terrible, my email has been down for 3 days now which as a design agency cannot be tolerated, most of my business is done via emails etc

Anyhow, I'm not actively searching for a new company to move all my domains, emails and hosting packages over to.

Can anyone recommend a company? I want 99.9% up time and the ability to pick up the phone and talk to a technician if I have any issues!

any help appreciated!

I gave up in the end, all the decent ones get bought out by the big boys and their shitness soon filters down ruining said companies.

In the end I just got a dedicated server from UK2.net, costs around £65 +vat per month, technical support for the dedicated servers (only) if you have a problem is second to none in my opinion, although managing your own server takes some getting your head around...best thing I ever did though!!

I used to be on Streamline...awful!
I now use Hostgator.com (in the US, but hey, they are v.efficient and helpful)

All shared hosting companies are erratic, all are better at the outset and go downhill, and all are likely to fail you at some stage. There's no point in fighting it, it's the dynamics of the business model involved, they oversell in the same way as airlines do, and when the real world inevitably catches up with them, they've made enough money to be able to just shrug it off, so you just have to be prepared to pack your bags and go somewhere else at any time, or do like Boss Hog and get a dedicated server. I have the feeling (no hard evidence) that US hosting companies tend to be better than UK ones (European ones are better still but far too expensive). I have been using Site5 for the last couple of years, excellent value for money, and I have no serious complaints, yet, but the moment comes, I intend to move up to at least a VPS.

I use unlimitedwebhosting.co.uk and actually find them very good.

Whenever we've had an issue they've replied within minutes are are very patient :icon_rolleyes:

I've used a few over the years and have stuck with this lot for a while now. As long as you prefer Plesk to CPanel then I have no real complaints.

G

Why don't you give a try to Eukhost ltd. they offer packages at pretty affordable web hosting packages. And more importantly they offer fully managed services, 24x7 free support via. Live Chat, support helpdesk, emails and phone.
I have one of the cloud hosting packages they offer and more happy to have chosen them.

I gave up in the end, all the decent ones get bought out by the big boys and their shitness soon filters down ruining said companies.

In the end I just got a dedicated server from UK2.net, costs around £65 +vat per month, technical support for the dedicated servers (only) if you have a problem is second to none in my opinion, although managing your own server takes some getting your head around...best thing I ever did though!!

Hi Boss Hog,

Can I just ask if your web hosts migrate, set up and maintain your clients sites for you. Do they do things like setting up control panel, accounts quotas, disk space , emails, etc? I think I have made a blunder by thinking that that is what they can do for me. It seems that they expect me to do this.

Are their any hosts that offer this service or have I been living in cloud cookoo land? Any responses would be really useful.

If you are familiar with sorting these type of things out would you be able to help or direct me to a good resource. I have looked at some cPanel and WHM videos which are useful but don't cover areas where I need more explanation. Is this what you mean by managing your own server?

Thanking you. :crazy:

Hi Boss Hog,

Can I just ask if your web hosts migrate, set up and maintain your clients sites for you. Do they do things like setting up control panel, accounts quotas, disk space , emails, etc? I think I have made a blunder by thinking that that is what they can do for me. It seems that they expect me to do this.

Are their any hosts that offer this service or have I been living in cloud cookoo land? Any responses would be really useful.

If you are familiar with sorting these type of things out would you be able to help or direct me to a good resource. I have looked at some cPanel and WHM videos which are useful but don't cover areas where I need more explanation. Is this what you mean by managing your own server?

Thanking you. :crazy:

No they don't although once you get your head around it it's not very difficult or time consuming to do. UK2 do offer a managed server package although I don't know how hands on they get or what this entails, it is more likely just the upkeep of the server that they actually do and not the specific things you are mentioning above (ring and ask).

I can set-up a new domain on the server in literally 2 minutes although I do need help from a knowledgeable friend on occasion, you need to have a look at cPanel's website/forum for specific advice.

Or, speak to Phil at UK Web Hosting - UK VPS Dedicated Server - Linux cPanel Shared Reseller Web Hosting in UK, the company is much smaller than UK2 and you will get more of a personal service from them, I am sure they will be able to help as they did with me when I was starting out :icon_smile:

No they don't although once you get your head around it it's not very difficult or time consuming to do. UK2 do offer a managed server package although I don't know how hands on they get or what this entails, it is more likely just the upkeep of the server that they actually do and not the specific things you are mentioning above (ring and ask).

I can set-up a new domain on the server in literally 2 minutes although I do need help from a knowledgeable friend on occasion, you need to have a look at cPanel's website/forum for specific advice.

Or, speak to Phil at UK Web Hosting - UK VPS Dedicated Server - Linux cPanel Shared Reseller Web Hosting in UK, the company is much smaller than UK2 and you will get more of a personal service from them, I am sure they will be able to help as they did with me when I was starting out :icon_smile:

Hi BH,

I've got a feeling that I need more than hosts generally offer. I will call Phil though. If its relatively easy to do and something UK Web Hosting cannot do would you mind offering a few minutes of Skype to me to go over it. If not then would your knowlegeable friend be able to? I am willing to pay for time?

I appreciate you getting back to me. Thank you.

Every ISP has mention on their website that they are reliable host but very few Hosting companies provide reliable service. You will have to look for hosting companies which are being in to hosting business since loang time and can provide you with good service when in need.

Back