Registering a .com

scotty

Ultimate Member
Hey all,

I may have asked something similar before but couldn't find the tread (if there was one).

Anyhow. There's a few .coms I've been thinking about registering, mostly as an 'incase' as I've seen the ones I was considering before vanish.

May not end up using them but looking around the bigger companies like Godaddy I saw I could buy some for as little as £1 for a .com and the co.uk for 1p.

If I did set up sites for any of them I wouldn't want to use anyone like Godaddy for hosting.
I just don't want to buy them and find I'm stuck with them or anything.

Is there any issues with doing this?

Hi Scotty

there should be no issues with pointing to another server using nameservers or DNS through godaddy or other provider

you can set it to not renew after the first year if you don't want it anymore

the only other point is it goes up to £12.99 a year after the first year

I offer hosting and domain registration if you want me to quote DM me

If you know what you're doing, you can't really go wrong.

For someone like me, I've been with GoDaddy for many years, and the fact that I've stayed with them for so long says it all.

They're 24/7 customer service is incredible, I have never had an issue that they haven't been able to solve. But as I say, if you know how to solve certain potential 'behind the scene problems' yourself, then I guess GoDaddy would be a bit of an overkill for you.

I've set all my Auto Renews to Manual so that I can pay and leave when I want, not that I ever would.

Thanks chaps. :D

I was fearing that taking advantage of the cheap registrations it would tie me in or something.

As for Godaddy, I hear SO many people slating the larger companies and not being that savvy, well.....

Beware that the price doesn't hike up after a year. I've bought domains in the past for £1 that shot up to over £20 year when renewal was due. Not really a huge amount but if you're buying a few of them, you'll soon start to notice how light your wallet is.

Thanks for that Paul.

I tracked back to Godaddy and it rises to £12.99 which whilst not way out there, a few of them would be a sting if set to auto renew.

Back