Referen"dumb"? and effects on our profession?

Owain Kirby

Hello,
I like many of you, have a certain amount of concern regarding the impact of the Brexit referendum on our profession. I raise this issue because of the effects I experienced after the Scottish referendum in 2014. Back then, illustration work from Scotland reduced during the build up to the referendum, and I did not gain my usual flow of commissions after. I found that there was a drop in business confidence amongst many designers I know.
Just to make matters worse, I had at the time been conducting a lot of self promotional efforts in the rest of the UK. I had been receiving a large percentage of replies to my emails, and of a positive nature. As the referendum loomed, the replies dwindled, and most responses were to the effect that if Scotland separated, it would be isolated, and potential clients were stating that they would not do business with a breakaway country. I was always a NO voter anyway.
It took a fair period of time before resuming my self promotion in the rest of the UK, and slowly responses have increased, but not the 10 to 20% level I used to receive.
Could it be that post Brexit, the EU would have the same attitude to a breakaway UK, and the knock-on effect being a reduction of UK business confidence, and less design work commissioned resulting in the illustrator losing out as a result?
What are the thoughts out there in the world of my fellow illustrators?
Owain.

big blocks of text without breaks hurts my eyes... can you put some paragraphs/line breaks in please :)

Wow! really surprised to hear that you had that kind of reaction. o_O

I can't think of any economic or practical reasons not to use you especially as illustrators are generally hired on the style of their work which is not a thing that you can

pick up on any street corner.

It doesn't usually matter where you are or what currency you use.

That sounds more like an anti-Scottish kind of reaction.

I've never had that sort of thing myself as I'm in England but I guess I may now...I dunno?
PS. Levi is on one and he likes big spaces so best to try and please him.

;)

Those spaces are too big Scotty, you're not very good at this 'following the brief' lark are you :p

Lets put this out there as I get the rough idea of what this is likely about...
People are not just going to stop trading with us, the article 50 or whatever it is can take 2 years on it's own...

Even if we leave the EU the EU member states won't stop buying/selling from us because they have their own economy to consider, we actually buy more than we sell...

Leaving the EU opens up other markets that the EU has stopped us from working with selling to.

If Scotland wants to leave thats fine but they can take their share of the debts and fend for themselves financially rather than being 'bankrolled' by the rest of the UK economy. It will hurt them more to leave the UK than it will us to leave the EU... who's Scotlands biggest export purchaser..... that would be the rest of the UK

@scotty I can't cope with you lol you have me in tears. I realised what you were doing (& why) half way through reading your first reply and lost it lol.

@Levi I was going to get a bit technical and say that the OP did actually use paragraphs, just without line breaks :p. You can always buy a really wiiiiiddddeeee screen monitor and have your browsers window on max :D

Those spaces are too big Scotty, you're not very good at this 'following the brief' lark are you :p

Lets put this out there as I get the rough idea of what this is likely about...
People are not just going to stop trading with us, the article 50 or whatever it is can take 2 years on it's own...

Even if we leave the EU the EU member states won't stop buying/selling from us because they have their own economy to consider, we actually buy more than we sell...

Leaving the EU opens up other markets that the EU has stopped us from working with selling to.

If Scotland wants to leave thats fine but they can take their share of the debts and fend for themselves financially rather than being 'bankrolled' by the rest of the UK economy. It will hurt them more to leave the UK than it will us to leave the EU... who's Scotlands biggest export purchaser..... that would be the rest of the UK

Very true, well said!

I'd imagine that Scotland's biggest export is Whisky, so they just need to produce more Whisky and they won't need anyone to bankroll them.

Back