Redoing my portfolio...

The Simulator

Hi Guys,
Decided as my site was getting a tad old and wasn't even mobile friendly it was well overdue a revamp.
Got myself a new domain and started on it just after Christmas.
Think I'm happy with the over all design and feel of the site at the moment, although I still really need to work on the presentation of the projects, really not happy with them yet.
Just thought I'd put it up for a bit of crit, if there's anything really not sitting right with any of you. I haven't sorted out anything in responsive mode so don't look at that yet!
http://thelogomark.co.uk

Cheers

just had a quick nosey at your site mark, and I like it. It’s crisp, clean and easy to navigate around. Good choice of colour aswell. Hope it brings you more business mate.

Part of me wants to give you useful feedback, part of me wants to complain about you having a blog post on forums which doesn't include DF... :(

I agree with Mick, only had a quick glance but overall its clean and smart and seems to have everything it needs. Love your tag line too!

I like it but at the same time I don't like it. For me it just doesn't seem that 'inspiring' and the colours don't feel as fresh as your old pink site....it's clean and tidy etc but it's just missing that 'something' for me
And like Sean says... blog post about forums and no post about df...how could you :p

Thanks everyone.
The reason I switched from pink was because about a month after I bought the new domain I was going to fully rebrand as 'the logo mark' but then out of nowhere Graham Smith rebranded as 'the logo smith' and changed his colour to pink...kind of left me with my hands tied, if i'd have carried on the original plan I would have been seen to be blatantly ripping him off.
Any elaboration on the 'inspiring' front levi? Would you say it needs more impact on the homepage? Maybe bigger main slider to grab people instantly?
And the reason for no DF mention on the post was because I've not had that much experience over here on DF as i do over Estetica so it was easier for me to write about 'life over there'. Sorry...maybe next time ;)

That's the thing I'm not quite sure what it is, it just feels like 'something' is missing....
Had a quick play and to me this looks better (excuse the roughness but was working from a screengrab) but it does lack the originals text.... so maybe a wider slider might be the way to go, it also ties in the wide bands at the top and bottom with the rest of the site. Thinking about the missing text, maybe the lower green band I've used for the UK logo design bit could be used for the seo text...on another slide, as they say an image says a thousand words, shame seo can't see images like us lol
mark-sims-rough.jpg

I've talked to Mark about his site on Skype multiple times and I think one of the key things he was trying to get away from was having a site that looks like everyone else's. So I'm guessing that implementing a big slider wouldn't be his first choice for creating something "special," when it's been used on multiple design and design agency sites across the net.
Having something a little more unique is a nice way to go in this day and age where every other site seems to look exactly the same. Built from Wordpress templates without any thought or customisation. Hell, I'm guilty of it at times, however, it's not a good thing.

Tony Hardy said:
I've talked to Mark about his site on Skype multiple times and I think one of the key things he was trying to get away from was having a site that looks like everyone else's. So I'm guessing that implementing a big slider wouldn't be his first choice for creating something "special," when it's been used on multiple design and design agency sites across the net.
Having something a little more unique is a nice way to go in this day and age where every other site seems to look exactly the same. Built from Wordpress templates without any thought or customisation. Hell, I'm guilty of it at times, however, it's not a good thing.
I did say I liked the pink one, but to me there is just something missing about the new one, the bigger image seems to help.... I can't help the fact that every web design is getting similar.... you could argue theres only so many ways you can do a 'template' layout.

Levi said:
you could argue theres only so many ways you can do a 'template' layout.
You definitely could argue that. I guess there are only so many ways you can build a useful website to be honest. Depends on your outlook on things really haha. It's all been done before.

One thing that stuck out to me was the use of photography behind the logo. It just works so much better than using a textured background, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to steal this idea :D
I like it, it's nice and clean, it looks professional. However, I can't help but think that the impressiveness starts to taper off after the "Like what you see? Get in touch" section, of which I don't think the black works very well there. I'm not very keen on the thumbnail images you've used for the forum or 12 months on... post, it seems to detract from the overall design quality.

Sean Lee-Amies said:
One thing that stuck out to me was the use of photography behind the logo. It just works so much better than using a textured background, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to steal this idea :D
I like it, it's nice and clean, it looks professional. However, I can't help but think that the impressiveness starts to taper off after the "Like what you see? Get in touch" section, of which I don't think the black works very well there. I'm not very keen on the thumbnail images you've used for the forum or 12 months on... post, it seems to detract from the overall design quality.
Yeah, it looks much better using a photo, no idea why I didn't do it earlier...
I've not got round to settling on colours for the type in the call to action, black was just the default, and it doesn't look good you're right.
I am considering replacing some of the images I've used in the posts, changed a few so far from the old site, just not got round to doing them all yet.

Nice work.
I have to agree that it does need something grabbing my eye.
On the home page at the moment I feel torn where to look (the image, the top title and the 'like what you see' box.
I really like the shade of blue you have chosen, but I think another color to add to it for contrast would be nice. What about the pink you used to have but also use this blue as the main colour?

Hey, glad you've got it all up and running! I'm actually re-doing my site, calling it a night now. Just finished adding a new sticky nav and altering a ton of design styles.
I was curious, where do you go to find photos for your logo mockups?

Okay cool, thought that might be the case. I checked your site a week or so ago and you had removed all of the logos from the photos, did you change your mind?

Back