Redirect vs Parking Domain

Hey guys,

So I have bought a couple of domain names, that I want to point towards an existing website.

I am not sure whether it is best to park the domain or 301 redirect, and most importantly how not to be penalized by Google I guess.

What d'yall think out there?

Hi Phil,

If you want to point the domains towards an existing website then 301 redirect is best bet.

You won't be penalized by Google for redirecting a new domain to an existing site, the only way you would be penalized was if it was an old domain that had been previously blacklisted or sandboxed in some way I think.

Greg

Tim - I'm afraid I can't give you a definition (meaning I don't fully understand) for sandbox. But I too am curious, anybody care to shed some light on this?

No problems Phil, and as for the sandbox...

According to the sandbox effect, Google temporarily reduces the page rank of new domains, placing them into what is referred to as its "sandbox", in an effort to counter the ways that search engine optimizers attempt to manipulate Google's page ranking by creating lots of inbound links to a new web site from other web sites that they own. Some SEO experts also claim that the sandbox only applies to highly competitive or broad keyword phrases, and can be counteracted by targeting narrow, or so-called long-tail phrases.

Sandbox effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Essentially when a new domain receives a ton of new backlinks, and thus looks like the links are purely there for SEO purposes rather than being trusted links built up over time, like natural backlinks would occur, if that makes sense.

Greg said:
No problems Phil, and as for the sandbox...

Sandbox effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Essentially when a new domain receives a ton of new backlinks, and thus looks like the links are purely there for SEO purposes rather than being trusted links built up over time, like natural backlinks would occur, if that makes sense.

Wonder how much this affected Rob Hawkes' replica of the google bouncing ball logo... He got a tonne of back links from some of the biggg websites in a very short space of time :)

I think if you're getting amazing backlinks in the midst of a ton of backlinks, then the assumption may be that it's a viral sensation :) so huge trust backlinks (like the BBC, or similar trusted sites) would probably prevent sandboxing IMO.

Yeah exactly Greg. A new site that had 10k crappy links pointing at it is different than a new site with 1000 big links pointing at it. The trust factor and age of those domains linking to it will play a big part.

But both will more than likely trigger a human eval anyway as the search engines use tonnes of peeps to humanly audit websites and check for anomalies when their algo's flag up some thing. End of the day don't worry about it, not something you can deal with anyway 99% of the time anyway TBH.

I would worry more about Google's freshness factor as that has a bigger impact on your pages than any of the others search engines.

Back