Record Label Design Needed

Bassbox Ben

Hello people..

You may have seen this on another forum but I thought best to cover all bases..
(Also, looking at previous responses to people who don't have a huge budget I appreciate you may even find this request insulting, but here goes!)

Me and another guy have a very small independent record label launching soon.. I say soon, the only thing holding us back at the moment is artwork!

We had a very experienced guy who was supposed to be doing something for us but I think he's overly busy at the moment and we really don't want to wait too much longer..

The most important thing we need is a logo and the label designs for the first release.. Also if possible myspace background and associated artwork..

It's a drum & bass label and the name is Audio Hostage so obviously we're looking for something more... erm... I hesitate to say "urban".. Well I'm sure you understand we aren't looking for calligraphy fonts and flowers.. The idea we came up with was a speaker that looks a little like a face thats been gagged (see attached pic).. I do like that dymo font btw..

View attachment 507

This really doesn't need to be anything too amazing as we can always change it after the first couple of releases..

If you think you can help I don't expect you to actually start anything!! Just send me links to your current artwork and I will get back to whoever I think would be appropriate so as not to waste anyones time..

As for payment, just think how good this will look in your portfolio and we will tell everyone who did it so you'll doubtless get loads more work!! :D

JOKE!!

We where paying the other guy £50 so if that sounds reasonable please get back to me.. If it doesn't then I'll just have to keep working on it myself!! :(
I understand if someone asked me to produce a full track for £50 I wouldn't be too keen, however if they gave me a finished track that just needs a mixdown I would do it.. I hope this request seems more like the latter option..

Many thanks for reading my waffle this far!

Ben.J

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 19
If you fancy upping the budget a bit, I am your man. I've done work for technics/dmc, a fair few small labels, loads of independent artists and myspace layouts a plenty.

If you PM me here, we can exchange emails and talk.

Hey thanks for getting back to me..

I don't think we can pay more but we can promise repeat work.. I think once the main design for one side of the label is done and the track names and other info is done for the other side, its only the track names info that will need changing for the following releases.. We could pay an extra £15 each time for you to just type in some different words and send it over..

Let me know what you think mate..

Thanks..

Job done.

ZtpdO.jpg

RZWzO.jpg

Reversed out: http://i.imgur.com/F9ay4.jpg
Colour variations: http://i.imgur.com/MO20h.jpg
Business card: http://i.imgur.com/63pUZ.jpg

AKTBG.jpg

1R9yL.jpg

Business card: http://i.imgur.com/5p8eH.jpg

Free to use as is. Want the Illustrator/PDF files? £50 please or £65 with one hour of requested changes. Email me: neil AT theworkof.co.uk

Enjoy.

@Anagoge

Hah, I was on a coach earlier and bored, was thinking about just tracing the speaker quickly and getting £50 for it. Oh well, fair play.

Mark Alexander said:
@Anagoge

Hah, I was on a coach earlier and bored, was thinking about just tracing the speaker quickly and getting £50 for it. Oh well, fair play.

This isn't just a trace. This has been printed and revised seven times to ensure that it's completely legible at even small sizes down to 1cm². It also has some small revisions that aren't in the original sketch, along with multiple attempts at creating the correct stroke weight and, in particular for the second version, the right colour combination.

In other words, I did actually put some work into making this. For free. Why? Let's see where it goes.

Jimlad - Check my original rough version in the first message, is that what you mean? :confused:

Anagoge - Thanks for the trial versions! I appreciate you spending any time on this ;)

Just in case anyone else is thinking of knocking up a rough idea, like I said it would be better to just decided if you would want to do it for the budget we have, then just point me to some of your work so I can get an idea if it's likely to suit what we are looking for. Saves you spending any time on things you don't need to. There are specifications that I would need to email if you where doing the actual version.

2 other things, 1) This is for vinyl records so the logo would be on one side and words in various fonts over a very basic design on the other, and 2) I know it says Hostage in the name but we don't want newspaper letter cut out hostage note looking text if you get what I mean.

Thanks again to anyone who has mailed so far!

Bassbox said:
Saves you spending any time on things you don't need to.

For £50, I would spend pretty much the same amount of time on the logo as I have above.

Bassbox said:
There are specifications that I would need to email if you where doing the actual version.

It's usually a good idea to be specific about your specifics when specifying what you want. Specifically.

Bassbox said:
This is for vinyl records so the logo would be on one side and words in various fonts over a very basic design on the other

This makes no sense.

Bassbox said:
I know it says Hostage in the name but we don't want newspaper letter cut out hostage note looking text if you get what I mean.

Your original sketch uses the dymo typeface. The typeface I used has similar roots. A typical hostage note consists of multiple typefaces, put together haphazardly, whereas the typeface in use on the mockups is a distressed typewriter typeface. There's nothing hostage-related about it, really. Plus, the dymo font is so cliché that it's unbearable.

If you'd like put forward a more reasonable and fair budget for an identity design - something which is an investment and of value and something which will shape how your customers view your business - then I'm happy to address your points further. My rates start at £360. You will find that most other competent, professional and serious designers will also be around this price.

I'm sure you are serious about your business. But we are serious about ours.

Anagoge - You have misunderstood most of my messages, I won't be using your work, but thanks again anyway..

Ralph - We have just heard from the guy who was supposed to do the work originally and it seems he's getting on with it now! Typical ay!
Many thanks for your interest though, and I would add that after speaking to someone at the distributors it seems that there are quite a few labels that have had the same problem as us so I will try to advise people to contact this forum for help.. As long as they have an appropriate budget ;)

Bassbox said:
I say soon, the only thing holding us back at the moment is artwork!

Bassbox said:
Just in case anyone else is thinking of knocking up a rough idea, like I said it would be better to just decided if you would want to do it for the budget we have, then just point me to some of your work so I can get an idea if it's likely to suit what we are looking for. Saves you spending any time on things you don't need to. There are specifications that I would need to email if you where doing the actual version

Went from a simple artwork job to a full logo design brief overnight?

It's a shame the goalposts moved on this one, always seems to be the way when the budget is low from my own experience.
Good on you Neil for taking the time, also a shame the final feedback went the way I thought it might!

Greg

Too many times have I heard... 'do this for cheap and I'll give you my on-going business'. As soon as I hear this, I back away. It's a shame things didn't work out with the dude that put the work into it, but lesson learned. Never be too eager to jump on a project... especially one that doesn't pay well. Works for building a resume, but not for making a living.

Back