Recommended laptops

Farmer Ann

I am using a really old PC at the moment that crashes regularly. :(
I think it is time for me to replace it, but for convenience I would like to get a laptop. I am purely working on websites for myself and friends. I have been looking at DELL because they have some offers on but I want to make sure I am going to get something that is able to cope. I generally have a combination of things open at the same time - like the internet, Photoshop, dreamweaver and word, and can be working on some quite large pdf files.
Please can someone give me some help I know very little about hardware (despite having a really old electronics degree!):confused:

Farmer Ann said:
I am using a really old PC at the moment that crashes regularly. :(
I think it is time for me to replace it, but for convenience I would like to get a laptop. I am purely working on websites for myself and friends. I have been looking at DELL because they have some offers on but I want to make sure I am going to get something that is able to cope. I generally have a combination of things open at the same time - like the internet, Photoshop, dreamweaver and word, and can be working on some quite large pdf files.
Please can someone give me some help I know very little about hardware (despite having a really old electronics degree!):confused:
Any laptop with a new i5/i7 laptop cpu with 4GB+ of ram, a decent gpu (ie not intel built in), windows 7 (64bit is better in my view) screen size and hard drive of your choice plus a decent battery life should manage all of those listed above.

ralphsaunders said:
First thing that springs to mind - MacBook - Apple Store (U.K.)
Macbook/Pro were the first things that sprung to my mind too, but then the fact that they're really due an update any time now puts me off. The c2d is nearly 4 year old (ignoring speed bumps)!

haha the rumour was january, oh wait it was march, oh wait no it's may, or is it june and july...!

why would the fact they're due an update put you off?

macbook pros are brilliant laptops regardless of whether they're due an update or not. :)

I never said they weren't good as is, but I would rather get a cpu that is 20-30% faster for the same money, along with the improved gpu switching (likely gefoce optimus).

Macforum are reporting new place holders added in the US for bestbuy but I'd say they will have an event to announce the availability of the iPad and also update the macbook pro's around 60 days from the last event for the iPad.

I never said they weren't good as is, but I would rather get a cpu that is 20-30% faster for the same money, along with the improved gpu switching (likely gefoce optimus).

oh okay so they prices are known on the phantom laptops...

awesome!

It's very unlikely that apple will raise their prices even more in the US, we'll just be affected by the usual UK tax etc.

Edit: and I never said not to buy a current model, I just said I wouldn't recommend one when they really due an upgrade to the newer cpu's

im just playing with yer levi.

you seem to have large interest in macs from the sounds of it. interesting that.

 win! :D :p

pity you hadn't gone to the US after the new release cause you could have been coming home with a few presents for us :p

that and i am going to New York in 2 months (or so).

you're forgetting that the US store doesnt show tax though. so you'd end up paying pretty much the same.

that and anything over $300 has to be claimed, therefore taxed :(

oh and what new releases? ;) :p

Thanks for all the ideas! I am not in the market for the top of the range cleverest laptop out as I am never going to be a pro like all of you. I do a little bit of design work for myself and as a handy addition to my farm.
Please could someone name me a specific good value computer that is reasonably capable on a budget.
I am put off a Mac as I though I know they have always been a favourite of designers, all my software is PC based and I dont want to start from scratch.

the serial numbers do port over from CS3/4 to another computer, PC or Mac.

you just have to get the installation discs (or the trial .dmg files from adobe) and when your old PC is switched off you can open up the software on your mac.

tim said:
the serial numbers do port over from CS3/4 to another computer, PC or Mac.

you just have to get the installation discs (or the trial .dmg files from adobe) and when your old PC is switched off you can open up the software on your mac.
assuming they bought photoshop, theres plenty of cheaper alternatives on windows such as paintshop pro

Levi said:
assuming they bought photoshop, theres plenty of cheaper alternatives on windows such as paintshop pro

Uh...

Farmer Ann said:
. I generally have a combination of things open at the same time - like the internet, Photoshop, dreamweaver and word, and can be working on some quite large pdf files.
:

:)

don't knock paintshop pro, it might not have all the features of photoshop but for non designers/hobbyists it's more than good enough as is the totally free gimp

Back