Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended Design Books

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by Cruzini, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Cruzini

Cruzini Member

I have been rifling my shelves today for an old text book on graphic design.

This had me thinking what book you might recommend to newbies.

My Selection

Design Basics Index Jim Krausse:icon_tongue_smilie:
  2. LeVon

LeVon New Member

I would recommend Logo by Michael Evamy .

A book filled with categorised logos which sparks instant inspiration with every flick of the pages.
  3. YellowPeril

YellowPeril Member

Herb Lubalin

Anything about Herb Lubalin, it will either make you want to give up now or inspire.
  4. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

5. dedwardp

dedwardp Member

Although I haven't got round to reading this one yet, I have only heard great things about this book and it's one that I can't wait to read!

Seems to be a book more about life experiences as a designer and something that everyone will be able to relate to. I look forward to reading it :icon_smile:
  6. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Well-Known Member

Street Art Sketchbook is awesome if anyone ever comes across a copy :)
  7. SparkCreative

SparkCreative Member

Anything by Alan Fletcher. And 'A Smile in the Mind' - full of work I wish I'd done.
  8. CarmaCreative

CarmaCreative Member

Really enjoyed reading Logo Design Love by David Airey recently. A great book specifically about creating identities.
  9. Tony Hardy

I've been thinking about getting this for a while. Think I'll probably splash out after Christmas.
  10. dedwardp

dedwardp Member

Not long to wait then!

Must say, I've read lots of recommendations and it's another on my 'to get' list. There's so many books I want to get through, really need to get started on buying some soon :icon_blushing:
  11. Tony Hardy

Well,I got Penguin By Design for Christmas.
    Excellent book detailing the history of Penguin book covers and their designers etc.
  12. Paul Murray

I always flick through that when I have time to kill in the library at uni. Great source of inspiration!
  13. Tony Hardy

It really is a great source of inspiration.
    Obviously the ones with pictures are better as the text based covers are all pretty similar lol.
  14. dedwardp

dedwardp Member

15. analogmonkey

analogmonkey Member

16. Paul Murray

17. analogmonkey

analogmonkey Member

I recently got the art of district 9 and it's stunning it's not a design book but does have elements of graphic design in it.

I love books like this as they can give you a different kind of inspiration than standard design books.

There's a review on parkablogs which is a great site for reviews.

Book Review: The Art of District 9: Weta Workshop | Parka Blogs

18. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

So good I bought it twice!

I actually did!.. well,... My other half bought it for my birthday a couple of years ago but I went and bought it before she got to give it to me!
  19. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

The Art of Looking Sideways.... Alan Fletcher - a book to inspire.
  20. Bonvin

Bonvin Member