• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Recommended Books

Last question (for now anwyays) I promise.

Looking at purchasing a few books to help me extend a bit of knowledge, so if anyone has any recommended books on any of the following (or anything else) that may be of an advantage to my web designing, then I would love to hear your thoughts.

Need some knowledge on the following:
Javascript
Flash
SEO/Google stuff
Logo/Branding design
Graphic design
Photoshop
Dreamweaver

... etc etc... you get my drift, so anything along those lines :D
Sorry for all the posts/questions, just trying to learn and get my head around a few things.

x

I know I dont always need to pay for things, its just I can read a book alot easier without getting distracted by more intriguing things on the internet.
I will be doing as much research and reading up online as possible, I just like books that I can sit away from noise and distractions and read :)
But thanks for the links, I will surely check them out!
x

Greg

HippySunshine said:
Need some knowledge on the following:
Javascript
Flash
SEO/Google stuff
Logo/Branding design
Graphic design
Photoshop
Dreamweaver
Hi HippySunshine,

That's quite a range of topics to cover, I'd be wary of overloading trying to cover all of those areas, become a master of one ;)

Check out these previous posts on DF for some books to check out on Graphic Design & Typography;
http://www.designforums.co.uk/design-equipment-software/753-what-graphic-design-book.html & http://www.designforums.co.uk/design-equipment-software/715-good-typography-books.html

As for SEO/Google Stuff, I'd recommend - Get to the Top on Google
For general web usability/web design, check out - Don't Make Me Think!

I think Flash and JS you'll need to break those down a bit, perhaps look for beginners guides. And as for Dreamweaver, you would be better off getting a book on learning HTML/CSS then you can use any tool to code, not just one (expensive) piece of software.

HTH
Greg

Greg said:
Hi HippySunshine,

That's quite a range of topics to cover, I'd be wary of overloading trying to cover all of those areas, become a master of one ;)
Ha im not going to be reading them all at once. I will be learning one at a time dont worry :)

Thanks for the links.

and Glen... id love to take a look at your ebooks x

tim

los logos 1, 2, 3, 4 is absolutely mint.

£40 but about about 4500 logos (all beautiful ones) packed into one book. it lists all the different styles, different dimensions, gives you some background about them and a fark load more!

i think i have too much money :\

tim said:
los logos 1, 2, 3, 4 is absolutely mint.

£40 but about about 4500 logos (all beautiful ones) packed into one book. it lists all the different styles, different dimensions, gives you some background about them and a fark load more!

i think i have too much money :\
that's not a bad price. it's not a case of having too much money (I spend sooo much on books), it's investing :D

Also, I have a couple of flash ebooks if you're interested. I haven't read them yet myself, got them off a mate who's a flash developer

tim

if i liked flash, i'd rob that off you :p

anyone got any good ebooks on typography? im looking towards Harry, Onartis, Berry...? anyone!?

Renniks

according to berry the only 10 books you really need (though others can't hurt, unless they are rubbish) are:

10 Books you need. £164.00
1. The Production Manual: A Grapic Design handbook - Gavin Ambrose £24.00
2. The complete guide to Digital Graphic Design -Bob Gordon £20.00
3. 1000 Graphic Elements - Rockport £25
4. 1000 Greetings - Rockport £25.
5. Web Design index - Gunter eer ( vol 6 or 7 or any) £15.00
6. Pantone guide to communicating with colour - Leatrice Eiseman £25
7. More words that sell - Richard Bayan £11.00
8 Logo Lounge - Rockport 15.00
9. It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be - Paul Arden £4.99
10. BBBoL - Berry burgess' book of life - £0.00