Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me some good books (novels)

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Kevin, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Preferably fiction. A bit fantasy-like but not too fantasy. It sort of needs to be on the edge of reality and fantasy.

e.g. Harry Potter, Golden Compass trilogy, etc.
  2. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Harry TurtleDove...the World War books are great fiction.
    His 'what if' books are always a good read.

Matthew Reilly....Ice Station, Scarecrow and others full on action adventure stories simple but great fun.

I have just re read Alice in trip out read that one.

I'll think of some more later.
  3. Becky

Becky Member

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
  4. matt

matt Member

You might like The Court of the Air by Stephen Hunt. I wasn't that keen, but then I'm not especially into the fantasy genre. I did really enjoy The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters however, and I guess you would describe that as a fantasy adventure.

Not very fantasy, but I did have the melancholic pleasure of reading the bleakly beautiful pulitzer prize winning The Road by one of my favourite authors, Cormac McCarthy (probably best known for No Country for Old Men) recently. Certainly one of the best books I've ever read, and the first in some time to make me cry—one the tube no less. The Road has also been made into a feature, I strongly recommend reading it before seeing it.
  5. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

harry turtledove is a good one, chuck palahnuik anarchic spin on soicety is awesome
  6. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Terry Pratchett's discworld series. Some of my favourites:
    Pyramids - all about assassins in an Egypt-style place, where pyramids actually store time and keep it still.
    Night Watch - An old captain of the city watch accidentally travels back in time and sort of becomes his own mentor.
    Reaper Man - Death loses his job for becoming too involved and developing personality traits.
  7. also Mort, Guards Guards and The Colour of Magic are good :)
  8. Krey20

Krey20 Senior Member

A fantasy book called "The Lies of Locke Lamora" is excellent. Might be a bit too fantasy for you, but it's about a band of thieves and con men.

Fantasy books by a bloke called Joe Abercrombie are good too, again might be too 'fantasy' for you.

I usually recommend anything by Douglas Coupland or Kurt Vonnegut as well.

Others of interest:
    The End of Mr Y - Scarlett Thomas
    Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes
    Millennium Trilogy - Stieg Larsson

One of the best books I've read this year was about big wave surfing on the North Shore, Hawaii called 'Stealing the Wave' - Andy Martin.