Recommend a new Laptop / Tablet 'hybrid'

@Levi yes your Asus is better than the HP.

Before making this thread these are the two I was looking at personally but some of the reviews are quite shocking. I know there will always be bad reviews but they have really put me off:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...0-n154na-10-1-2-in-1-silver-10137987-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...ook-t100ha-10-1-2-in-1-grey-10137163-pdt.html

That Asus is similar to your recommended Asus, but I believe yours is better and cheaper right?

Can I get anything better for £250, or would I have to be pushing to the £300+ mark?

32 Bit OS runs on 1gb RAM
64 Bit OS runs on 2gb RAM

If the tablet has a 64 bit OS and 2gb RAM - there's no RAM left for other things... therefore, a 32bit OS with 2gb RAM would be preferable.

32 Bit OS runs on 1gb RAM
64 Bit OS runs on 2gb RAM

If the tablet has a 64 bit OS and 2gb RAM - there's no RAM left for other things... therefore, a 32bit OS with 2gb RAM would be preferable.
what are you on about.....

32bit os has a 'hard limit' of 4GB of memory
64bit os has a 'software limit' of 128GB iirc although it can go a lot higher

Both will 'run' on 1GB of ram although I'd not recommend it and there is no real difference between ram usage in 32bit and 64bit windows (I have both versions) when there's only 2GB involved and you'd also notice no difference in using a 32bit version over 64bit at this amount of ram - just make sure you get 32bit versions of software as 64bit software wont run on it :).

As to Ash's suggestion.... it's ChromeOS which wouldn't cover some of the original topics like itunes video etc. Yes new ChromeOS versions should support android apps although I still prefer a full OS personally over a 'browser' OS like ChromeOS. It's CPU is basically the same as in your mobile phone but it is fine for it's intended use, an 'all in one' web browser. Edit: it also doesn't come apart, it's just a laptop.

Last edited:
Here are the base Windows 10 system requirements
  • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
  • Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
http://www.windows10update.com/2014/10/windows-10-system-requirements/

Basically, 2gb RAM in a Tablet that's running 64 bit OS - the OS will use a 2gb of RAM - and little else available for other applications.

Whereas, 1gb RAM in a Tablet, that's running 32 bit OS - the OS uses 1gb RAM - leaving 1gb RAM for other applications.

Ok guys, any idea whether I can get a 4GB RAM 2in1 for under £300? Or is it unrealistic at that price?

What are the advantages of having a 64-bit over a 32-bit, so I can weigh up whether I need to go for a 64-bit or make do with a 32-bit...

Ok guys, any idea whether I can get a 4GB RAM 2in1 for under £300? Or is it unrealistic at that price?
the closest is this HP (like my mums)
http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=L5G91EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB
Has 1280 res again though but does come with 64bit windows 10 PRO (IMO this is more important than 32/64bit at this level of pc) so you can do some gpedit to get it working close to the old win 7 update model. IT also has 64GB storage
What are the advantages of having a 64-bit over a 32-bit, so I can weigh up whether I need to go for a 64-bit or make do with a 32-bit...

there are very few advantages for 64bit over 32bit unless you need software that makes use of lots of ram and as such have over 4GB. You do have some downsides with 64bit, you may need to install BOTH 64 and 32bit programs to get full functionality (media codecs for example) and the way scanners work with 64bit photoshop is different to 32bit for example.

Hank 64bit might 'require' 2GB but it will run on 1GB, I've seen it done, it's not pretty though. I also have this feeling you might not be fully up to speed on the current way windows uses ram....windows will take 'ALL' of the ram (well up to a point) to help speed up app loading etc when nothing else is running but it will release it as needed for a program, windows 10 is actually very lightweight for windows

Right, so If I understand correctly, this is still the best value so far: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/bac...d-2-1-laptop-tablet-w-1-year-warranty-2467062 (I really don't want to spend over £300). The only thing is why is it Windows 8.1 & not 10?!

Might be worth to add, while it would be nice to have it within the next couple of weeks, I am prepared to wait if anyone recommends a better time / month to purchase one of these? I'd like to buy one before October, so there is plenty of time if it is recommended I wait?

Ideally I'd like:
4GB RAM
Windows 10
32 or 64 bit (not fussed)
64 GB HD but I would settle for 32 GB if needs be
For Under £300

If this is unrealistic for my budget then it looks like I'll have to settle for Levi's recommendation of: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/bac...d-2-1-laptop-tablet-w-1-year-warranty-2467062

Thanks for all the great tips btw!

Windows 7 to 8.1 has a free upgrade to 10 until end of July... or you could try and save up the extra 10 quid on the HP one I suggested. Also you can get like 3.3% back (about £10) from topcashback if you buy from HP direct although don't count on it being paid (usually does but you get the idea)

Extra £10? The Asus one you suggested is £150 and the HP is £309. I read reviews of the Asus going to shit when trying to upgrade it to Windows 10, so I'm wondering if it is best left alone at 8?

Levi I absolutely know that 64bit os on 2gb ram is pants.

2gb is min for 64bit. But I know from experience it's a load of shire.

Levi I absolutely know that 64bit os on 2gb ram is pants.
2gb is min for 64bit. But I know from experience it's a load of shire.
Strange I've had no issues doing day to day stuff (ie not design work) on 64bit with 2GB of ram.... but then I do tweak the hell out my installs. And this is coming from someone who wouldn't want less than 8GB minimum on their pc :)

Extra £10? The Asus one you suggested is £150 and the HP is £309. I read reviews of the Asus going to shit when trying to upgrade it to Windows 10, so I'm wondering if it is best left alone at 8?
I meant £10 over £300. I didn't look into upgrade reviews as the HP my mum got came with windows 10 x86 home

Yes, but bare in mind originally I was looking to spend around £200 or less, so really it is an additional £100. I just don't think it's worth spending £300+ on a laptop for unimportant non work related stuff. Yes, I will probably use it for work to take to meetings to show off PDF files of designs and whatnot, but I don't need a £300+ laplet to do that.

It would be nice to have 4gb RAM as my current dying laptop is 2gb RAM, but if I can't get that for under £300 then so be it, 2gb it is :) It will still be miles faster than the laptop I currently have.

Back