Recognised Web Design qualifications?

Nick Garrish

I was wondering if anybody can spread some light on what are the widely recognised Wed design qualifications?

I currently use the software only to a basic level, im looking to do a course so I have a qualification to back it up.

The reason im doing this is because me and my family are looking to immigrate in the coming years and i feel this will help process my application.

Your help would be appreciated!!!

Hmmm, if it's to aid immigration I'd get a qualification that's worthwhile, like a teaching one or summink… A web design qualification isn't worth the paper it's written on (or code it's written in) really.

Thanks Harry

I was also thinking about this as an option but I was told by a course company called Home Learning College that I would need a web design qualification first in order to get onto a teaching course to teach in this required field!

Hah, I don't think that's true. I dunno what they meant but I was approached yesterday by a training company asking if I'd like to do some workshops teaching people web development.

It's a toughie though because I would never ever recommend a qualification for web development. It's not like it's quantifiable or even trustable—a qualification gained in 2010 will be useless by 2012 :(

Studying for a teaching qualification such as a PGCE would require a Degree or equivalent relevant to the field you wish to teach in beforehand. Fact.

Nick Garrish said:
I was wondering if anybody can spread some light on what are the widely recognised Wed design qualifications?

I currently use the software only to a basic level, im looking to do a course so I have a qualification to back it up.

Hi Nick,

For web design, I would guess good experience with Photoshop and/or Fireworks would be appropriate as they are most commonly used for producing web graphics. There might be an Adobe Creative Suite course you could look into, but I would personally pursue teaching yourself as much as possible, there's lots of great CS books, guides and online tutorial sites to pick up techniques.

For web coding/development, as Harry said qualifications aren't much use as they are often very dated, sometimes even dated when you start the course, and they can sometimes be tied into one software package like Dreamweaver, which again is a negative, as hand coding would be a better route to take.

For both web design & development, a strong portfolio of live sites you've worked on would be recognised and valued whatever the location.

Hope that helps!
Greg

Nick Garrish said:
Home Learning College

yeah, they're a complete waste of time, seriously. I looked at doing a course before going to uni and they were on the list of people I looked at, just went to my local college in the end lol as it was cheaper and I recognised their qualifications.

Have you looked at the open university?

Back