Rebrand website design

made it from scratch in photoshop....

few diagonal lines. duplicate. add a gradient background and add noise!

philjohns said:
made it from scratch in photoshop....

few diagonal lines. duplicate. add a gradient background and add noise!

more of an illustrator person myself, how did you mask the lies to fit the shape of the website? tried this on illustrator but you cat do it.

theking79 said:
more of an illustrator person myself, how did you mask the lies to fit the shape of the website? tried this on illustrator but you cat do it.

Sorry its been a while in my reply - ive been busy busy busy with business here (plus the surf picked up the past couple of weeks which doesnt help!)

Not sure what you mean about masking the lines to fit the shape of the website - let me know and I'll reveal though!

Anyway, heres the latest, its a slow project I'll admit cos ive got so much else on but Im happy so far (and yes, I know i need to buy that stock photo before it goes live!)

PJ Studio | Plymouth Graphic and Website Design

Any feedback appreciated.

Oh, and I hope to actually keep my promise of being around the forums more frequently!

I really like it, not sure on the italics when you hover over the links, buts it is very clean,
maybe make the slider move a bit less often, or add it so the user can choose to move them? not sure... it just seemed a bit 'quick' - get rid of the blue borders on those too?!
Is it possible that it doesnt skip back to the original one and just continues moving through (looping rather than 1 - 2 - 3 - jump back to 1 - 2 - 3 .... )

Again the logo seems a bit large, as do the linked in - twitter icons
scaling them down might make it look abit more balanced.

Just some ideas :)

Very nice though

Oh and another point, as it says "your email here" is it necessary to have "your email" before the box...
one or the other in my opinion. No point over stating what they can already see

Ideas is exactly what I want Renniks - thank you

Ive never been sure of the italics myself either so im kind of pleased that someone else bought it up.

Blue borders? They didnt show when it was running off my hardrive but when online they appeared, ill get them sorted.

How do the quote marks appear for you and what browser are you using? they worked in mozilla for me on a mac when i tested it on my hardrive but when veiwing in my webspace they seem to be broken - any chance of a print screen?

I'll have a look a tthe javascript to slow it down and may make a change for it to loop, i can see how it can improve it.

The logo was bought up before so will try it smaller and see what its like, I'll shrink those twitter/linked in logos down too.

Good point on the "your email here" bit - I'll make that change too!

Thanks

Glad you agree with the ideas, obviously anything you change can be changed back so what can it hurt to try.

heres that print screen http://img12.yfrog.com/img12/2953/screenshotefw.jpg

Can also see my UI there haha.

Im currently using firefox 3.5 on vista

Try out browsershots.org to check it out in many different browsers under different situations (java on etc.)

Good work Phil. It's really shaping up.

I'd get rid of the italics on hover as well. My only other suggestion would be to try another pattern in the background rather than the diagonal lines. Maybe a carbon fiber pattern could work well with the style of the site?

Carbon Fiber - Free Photoshop Brushes at Brusheezy!

Or just get rid of it all together and just keep the texture you have on the rest of the background?

Oh I had also recently restarted firefox, that usually has about 50x the number of tabs open o_O

Thanks Renniks (dont know your actuall name?!) im at a loss now - thats how it appears online for me but on my desktop it work sperfectly - know outlines on linked images - no broken quote marks either....hmm.....

@Aarlev: I'll give another pattern a go, that carbon pattern is really tempting me!
Dont have time to do anything else but will get back with another link in a day or two!

Thanks guys.

Sadly I'm not sure why it would appear different, but then we all know that somethings just dont work out quite right, have you validated the html & css on W3C ?

I think the carbon would look good, I hadnt noticed the diagonal lines til that was mentioned so they are done well either way (in my opinion they have to be aesthetically pleasing while being very subtle)

You're welcome, this is all a huge learning experience for me, so being able to examine and pick up on other peoples websites and offer how I beleive they should be is helping me a great deal with how I should go about things.

- Mark Skinner

(Skinner backwards is renniks, hence the name ;))

Add this CSS rule to your stylesheet
Code:
a img { border:none; }

Also, add some more top padding to your h2 elements and look for some smaller social media buttons. The image you have to the right of the about text doesn't fit very well imo.

And lastly, already mentioned, the carousel is sliding too quickly.

Just some small tweaks, but the pieces are definitely falling together.

I had assumed as it wasnt showing on his computer he had already added that css, didnt bother to check :eek:(

Im dreading harry coming and replying to this thread - My coding is normally valid but this time ive got 7 errors! :down: haha

I'll get the sorted, and hopefully that may fix things!

And that css code I THINK ive missed out for one but cant be certain.

Wont get a chance to work on it today unfortunately.

Hey Phil,

Yep you have a few errors there that should be addressed, additionally although your code is not bad, you could have used a more semantic approach to your structure.. *hint alert* HTML Lists

Additionally you have nested elements several layers deep within divs, and such you code has a small case of divitus, always try to use the least amount of elements as possible and us CSS and its cascade nature to to target and control the visual presentation.

Other then those small points not a bad effort mate.

Back