Rebrand identity options

Paul Murray

Ultimate Member
So for a while now I've been working on rebranding, and I'm finally at the stage where I've nearly settled on the identity. However, I'm torn between a few variations, and would like to see what everyone else thinks. I won't say which identity I'm leaning towards just yet, I'm curious to see what others think is the strongest option. The grey versions are just there to show the options at a smaller scale.

COSMOS-ID.png

It has taken me a while to really have a good look and think about it but I think I would go for number 1. It is a tricky, tough decision and ultimately I feel it should be based on how much you want your audience to think about space, universe, galaxy, orbits, planets, moons, sun etc. As all of those words jump out at me when I see these logos, but least so with number 1. I'm sure it is intentional and I would be very interested to hear the story behind your design idea for your new identity. What kind of things are you planning to do in the future? Is it at all related to the 'emotion' of your logo?

If I had to apply a rationale to the identity/name, it would something be along the lines of the universe always expanding, and the fact that 'cosmos' is a term given to the ordered universe, i.e. adding structure to chaos, a little like a designer.

Really though, the name and space theme is because I had a lot of ideas for fun I could have with the branding and website, plus I'm a massive space geek and wanted the identity to be simple and reminiscent of science diagrams. I also wanted something that could be animated in some way, should I want to mess about with HTML5/CSS3 effects.

From a design perspective, I think I prefer 1, as it's clean and to the point, plus I think it works on a couple of levels: the circular device represents both an orbit of the Os in the name, but I think also represents a planet behind the name.

I think because it's my own identity I'm fussing over it a bit too much, I should probably go with my gut and stick with that option.

Really like that, as you say, the simplicity of it works so well. Albeit, I'm not convinced yet that the animation wins me over entirely, and I can't put my finger on why.

Really like that, as you say, the simplicity of it works so well. Albeit, I'm not convinced yet that the animation wins me over entirely, and I can't put my finger on why.

It's probably because it's a choppy gif done in Photoshop. I intend to do something with HTML/CSS anims that will be a bit fancier. The animation might only be used as a loading animation, if I use it at all

*Edit*

Also, I think I'd prefer if the circles were rotating counter-clockwise…

Last edited:
I'm not sure the true meaning of Cosmos has been captured in the logo, or the animation.

Cosmos is more about the order of the universe, it's anti-chaos.

But I don't think most people will care.

I like the logo. The animation is cool idea - and you're going to build on that.

It looks great.

I'm not sure the true meaning of Cosmos has been captured in the logo, or the animation.

Cosmos is more about the order of the universe, it's anti-chaos.

But I don't think most people will care.

I like the logo. The animation is cool idea - and you're going to build on that.

It looks great.

Cheers. I get what you're saying about the true meaning of 'cosmos'. One of the main reasons I picked the name was because it echoes the concept of design, i.e. order, hence why I was concerned the identity was too simple. Honestly though, I just really wanted to do something space-related as I have some ideas for the website. :)

It seems you have already made your decision, I just wanted to say that I really like it. In my opinion, no. 1 works most effectively. Whilst the others do communicate, I feel the minor details are distracting. Though I would of liked to see no. 3 with solid circles instead of outlined ones - if that makes sense? I also think the idea of merging your interest with space into your branding is brilliant. Can't wait to see the website :).

I would also opt for #1 but I'd like to see a version of it where the larger circle connects to the Os (without intersecting/running through).

Just adding my two cents, number 1 definitely is the best. :)

I really like the idea. So simple yet clever at the same time. :D

Back