Re-brand design price advice.

Evening all,

I have been approached by a new client to re-brand their company, no problems there. But i am unsure of how to charge them for my services. Would you my fellow peers charge a hourly rate or a set fee for the lot.
I normally charge a hourly rate but have seen on other websites offering the same service with set fees in place?

Is it sensible to carry on with the hourly rate so as to not give my services away if the workload does not match a initial first fee?

If i do want to charge a set fee what would you charge for this design request?

To give you a brief insight, this company has rapidly become one of the leading companies within its chosen industry and is based in the Greater London area. The work is to include the following, logo and identity design visible through the following formats, corporate stationery , uniforms, signage on both vehicles and machinery.

He has then asked that i work along side a web developer he has in place to help bring the websites in to line with my new designs and to give direction via a webpage concept. His reason for this is that the web developer is more technical than creative and wants to use my services in this way too!

Any advice you can give to how i should charge this project would be appreciated,

Hi Semiproflea,

I always like to have a look at this; Logo Design Prices
That makes me think about going in too low. Obviously Graham Smith is quite the branding expert, but, I always think about my work in comparison to his and where I see myself fitting on the scale of things.

There's always lots of discussion about hourly rate vs flat fee and I think that everyone on here (more or less) has come to the assumption that either way, both methods should end up working out at around the same figure.

My method would be; hourly rate x hours likely to spend on project (x 0.5 -because I always end up spending longer than I first thought) and go from there.

I also normally ask a client what they had in mind budget wise at the beginning of the project as I like to work on a trusting, open and honest basis, where nothing is hidden and nobody is trying to "get a better deal" by knocking pennies and pounds off. I've also found this has worked really well for me.

Cheers,
Tony

Sounds like my perfect job, this. Good job.

I work on an hourly basis, and I tell them that from the beginning. I don't give them a set fee for the whole project, but at the end of each day I give them a running total of how many hours I've spent and what their current bill is. Obviously you cant take the piss doing it this way, hence why I also brief them on how far along each stage is whilst at the same time, sending over visuals etc...

They're always very happy to do it this way, especially a business that's actually willing to pay a proper price for a re-brand.

Good luck. :icon_thumbup:

If you can it is a good idea to ask about budget up front. You at least know how much time to devote to the project. I would also suggest that you use your method (hourly rate x how long you estimate x 0.5) and then if they start to take the piss you can tell them politely and say that any further changes will be on an hourly rate. Best of all worlds.

I like to always offer a base rate under the assumption the job will take what I deem a reasonable amount of time... (I always make the client aware of this) I simply say to the client, "I'm willing to do this for X, but if I feel it's going to take significantly longer due to numerous revisions or something we add to the project that will take up more time; I'll let you know at that stage and you can decide whether you think it's worth extending the budget a little"..

I've found they love looking at it this way and I never have any problems getting an extension on the original price with them, as I word it in such a way that "for just another £100 I think we could develop it in ____ direction, which is slightly more involved but I think it will be worth it"...

Oh and if it was me, I charge £250 to rebrand - with deliverables including logo, company stationary and biz cards. (and 3 stages of development included - extra changes cost extra!)

Back