Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rage Against The Idiots.

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by tbwcf, Dec 16, 2009.

1. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

Most of you will have seen or at least heard of the campaign to make 'Killing in the name of' by Rage Against the Machine Christmas no.1 in protest to the X-factor.

Now in theory you might think this sounds like a good idea but it's ridiculously badly (or extremely well) thought out. Depending if some moron really did come up with the idea or if it was Sony themselves.

Simon Cowell works for Sony. RATM are signed to Sony.

People are not going to buy RATM instead of the x-factor song so therefore it will not detract at all from their sales. Buying 'Killing in the name of' gives Sony/Simon EXTRA revenue it does not detract from it.

Has this not been thought out in anyway or am I completely missing something?
  2. sarah

sarah Member

I don't think it's about Simon Cowell and him getting more or less revenue...i think its everyone just wanting a bit of excitement back into the Christmas number one count down. I remember getting excited every year and listening to the radio to the countdown and WHO will it be...

Now it's just a given that it'll be a cheesy X factor song and its taken away the magic.

I'm glad theres actually a bit of doubt in there now !
  3. tim

tim Senior Member

there are lotsa divisions to sony, so unless cowell owns it, he doesnt get any more than before...

and the RATM single wasnt supposed to detract sales from sony, it was just there to make sure that x factor didnt get no.1 for the fifth year in a row.
  4. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I totally agree, but it is being sold as 'fun' for the alternative community, so alot of people I know are really behind it.

The sad part is the charity angle, "download it for charity" and what is actually happening on the original facebook group there is just giving link! At no point have Rage said, "sure we'll give the profits to charity"

And yes it is oddly convenient that 2 years in a row now, the xfactor song and the rival cool song have both been on sony!
  5. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

@Tim - 'In case you're unaware of the corporate link, Sony BMG have exclusive rights to Simon Cowell's artists. His own label, Syco, is owned by Sony. He's hardly likely to be soiling his high-waisted trousers over the prospect of a few thousand extra download sales of 'Killing In The Name'. He's probably got shares in the company.' source - I'm pretty sure he'd benefit in some way from the sales.

@Mike - On the Charity part apparently Tom Morrello is due to donate his earnings to charity source

I'm all for something different for no.1 and like RATM but I already have their albums and think a genuine christmas no.1 that is not x-factor would be much better, something this forced doesn't seem like much of a victory to me
  6. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

7. sarah

sarah Member

Yeah i agree, i haven't even heard the song. I wish that X factor could just be taken out of the equation and then just see what naturally becomes number 1!
  8. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

Mumford & Sons - Winter Winds. Gets my vote. I'll go buy that but as its currently at no.53 don't s'pose its got much chance... anyone with me? :)

...also as far as I'm aware they're signed to island records who are not associated with Sony!
  9. HippySunshine

HippySunshine Senior Member

I thought this whole thing was daft to be honest, but when you put it that way, I can see why people are against the X-factor winner being number 1!

BUT its down to the public, they like the song, they buy it. If they didnt, then the x-factor winner wouldnt be number one!

So not really alot anyone can do if kids are going out and buying the Xfactor CD!
  10. I stopped following popular music in 1994 :p :lol:
  11. Greg

Greg Active Member

I think it's down to the advances of social media and the power that can give everyday people, the thought that some guy thought of this campaign and its snowballed from there is what makes it appealing, the fact that the public can influence these things and we don't have to just go along with what Simon Cowell expects/predicts/believes should happen.

That's my personal take on its appeal anyway :)
  12. Anon.

Anon. Senior Member

13. Rhonda

Rhonda Senior Member

That song by RATM is kind of old, and Im pretty sure it was about when law enforcement gets corrupted or abuses power or something in society as Tom Morrello always wrote those songs about. I really can't see what the lyrics have to do with the X-Factor hype.:confused:

And certainly don't see anything Christmas like in it. :)
  14. br3n

br3n Senior Member

Im not buying either, because I dont like either.

If your a RATM fan then chances are radio 1 and other local stations wont be for you... so does it even matter? I think x factor is a load of ****e and my response to their singles is to not buy them.
  15. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I blame michael andrews for this! or was there an alternative 'serious' christmas number one further back?

all I can think about is mr ****ing blobby!
  16. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

I'm with you! Love Mumford & sons... although i have actually purchased the xfactor single - why? I actually like the song and i'm from the North East might as well support the local lad although i did prefer the lovely Olly!
  17. sarah

sarah Member

i want Lady Gaga ft. beyonce to be number one with "telephone" but hey :(
  18. tim

tim Senior Member

do not.
  19. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

or KoL - sex on fire....

or la roux - quicksand

:) but nevermindddd
  20. tim