Quick opinion needed

djb

I’m just playing around with a jQuery lightbox to display images and some legal text on my website and I thought about using it to display my portfolio websites rather than opening them up in another window. The question is, is this a really weird way of doing it? I can’t make my mind up either way at the moment.

Anyway, if anyone has a spare minute could you go to the test page and click on the View Frame link in the bottom right corner.

Would appreciate any quick comments - and also any reports of 503 / 504 errors on the site as a whole or is this just my mobile broadband playing up!

Thanks

David

Worked fine for me although don't know what I think really, don't really see the point to be honest as whether it opens like that or in its own window makes no difference at all really, I suspect like that it has more chance of problems so personally I wouldn't bother.

Hope that helps.

We use lightboxes a lot for displaying portfolio type images. I think they look much better than opening in a new browser window. Your works well (is it fancybox?). Just be aware that no javascript enabled means it won't work. Not the end of the world for portfolio but DO NOT put your legal notices in one. These should be available to everyone at all times. Give them a page. Hope that helps :)

Bosshog: Yep, I’m with you in that I’m not sure there’s a point to it, although I’ve spent so much time on it now I’m going to give it a go as it will take seconds to put it back to the old way if I get any complaints. One plus side is you can’t see the web addresses as I host a lot of the sites on my own webspace after getting fed up with making nice websites for people only for them to get some techie to butcher them. :icon_wink:

Corrosive: You make a really good point, one I hadn’t considered. I’ve now spent an hour cruising the internet with Javascript turned off and it’s quite an unfriendly place! Luckily the Fancybox lightbox degrades quite nicely and with Javascript off just opens the images, terms and websites in the same window (like target="_self"). It's not ideal but as I’ve used XHTML 1.0 Strict for this website (god knows why, its just made my life difficult), the only way I could find to open a new blank window relied on Javascript anyway. I’ve also now added a little warning strip at the top if a user has Javascript off, this has a link to instructions on how to turn it on if they want to.

Cheers guys, your feedback is much appreciated.

Back