Quick and easy filters for logo

Ray200

Hi all,
First time poster. I've been asked to design a logo for a heritage trust. The logo must have a medieval cross that was found by the trust as its centrepiece.
However, I'm a photographer with negligible graphic design experience--getting to grips with Illustrator was fun--but I gave it a shot (see "cross" attachment). It was a case of trying to combine the intricacy of the original Celtic knots with the simplicity of the best logos. It looks somewhat clumsy to me.
I then messed around with some filters in PS to try and roughen up the edges. The stamp filter (nothing else was used) seemed to give the best finish. The result ("cross_filter" attachment) looks a bit better but I wonder if it could be improved on?
So, what I'm wondering is if anyone knows of a very quick filter or combination of filters that could be applied to the original "cross" image to give some "sparkle" to the original file? This is very vague, I know, but to an extent I'm going by feel here. Watercolor effect? Stone effect? Carte blanche rules.
It sounds like a logo design on the cheap--which it is. But if someone has an idea that could quickly be applied to the file, I would be very grateful as this is an area I'm very inexperienced in.

Best,
Ray

Attachments

• cross.jpg
    cross.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 16
  • cross_filter.jpg
    cross_filter.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 16
No offence here but you've got bigger issues with that logo than the need of filters. The details are near illegible at the thumbnail size which means that on smaller media it will also be hard to read.

I don't see how on earth you think the second one looks better - it's completely filled in in parts and the text is obliterated.
The first one looks ok, the cross is a bit big and the font not ideal, but as Levi says, some of the knot design will not go down well in size and maybe should
be simplified.

Ultimately a quick Photoshop filter isn't going to give you a redesign. Why do they want a new design, what don't they like about the old one?

To give you some actual ideas, I'd probably remove the cross 'outline' and use a solid colour to emphasise the knot.
knot.png

You could also just reduce the thickness of the cross's edge so it's balanced with the thickness of the knot. This gives a slightly more delicate feel to the identity.

knot-2.png
You'd need to scale this down/scale up the text so they're balanced. Currently the cross is huge in comparison to the text.

Hi all,
Thanks for the comments. No issues re any criticism as I am definitely not a graphic designer and have little background in the field. I'm a member of the company who is, technically, the client. But with my background in Art History and photography, I was saddled with designing the logo. Cheapskates.
Re the 2nd (revised) version: I felt the complexity of the Celtic knotwork was a problem. The filter was intended to give the impression of the details "eroding" over time, much like the real cross. Does anyone with no baggage/knowledge of the history of the cross feel that this was unnecessary? I just thought it would stress the "aged" look of the subject and simplify it for the benefit of the viewer. I'm genuinely open to suggestions so a simple "er, no" is fine.
Paul, many thanks for your suggestions too. Yes, the text does need to be enlarged. I feel like it's back to the drawing board a little. I'm not pleased even with my first version. Perhaps the way the knots don't seem to flow over and under the way they should is an issue.

Best,
Ray

You may be able to get a distressed effect on the cross with a 'slight' use of a filter or two, but the way I would do it is to play around with a few
spatter/grunge brushes in Photoshop until you get the desired effect. Back in the day it used to be just a matter of enlarging a photocopy a few
hundred %, that usually did the job!

Hi Wardy,
That's exactly what I was trying to get. A weathered stone effect. The original cross being ... weathered stone. I realise that my interpretation looks a bit, well, it's not going to win any awards, but I felt retaining that roughness might be the way to go. It's my decision, of course, but having so little experience of the medium means I'm more willing to follow divergent views than I would normally. I really do appreciate all the advice and I'm just trying to learn the pros and cons of logo design from those far more knowledgeable than me.
I like the comment re photocopying incidentally. That's a very good analogy.

Best,
Ray

I personally don't really like the idea of the weathered look. For starters, you'll lose legibility at smaller scales, but also I'd argue a heritage trust is about preserving and celebrating historical details and thus the knot should be intact.

Back