Question about trifold brochure template

bamme

Hi guys,

I found this template: http://www.ameliealden.com/a4_tri-fold_brochure.indt.zip

(you may want to just quickly download and look at it as it will make the q easier to understand)

I noticed that it had seemingly really wide margins, and also that the left col is .2mm wider than the right column.

So I wondered if you guys knew:

a) what type of trifold this is for -- a sort of concertina one that folds like this : /\/
or a like.. flap one that folds like this: \_/

b) what the best margin/bleed/any other marks are for whatever type of trifold this is? Can I assume the same margin/bleed/other marks are also best for other indesign files like posters?

Thanks, im really sorry i dont know very much about print design..I would realy appreciate some help here as I said I'd give it to this lady in 2 days from now :(

(I offered to do it for her so I learn about print design, and I have quite a bit actually, but this crop marks, bleed, etc is something im stuck on...'ve tried reading threads on other forums, and reading tutorials, but it seems each one is diff, and i think maybe i read somewhere that USA settings are different to UK...bit confused! )

The bleed would be specified by the printer, not the type of document. although it's usually around 3mm bleed for smaller stuff.

Can't tell you why there is a discrepancy in the sizes, but it's barely anything, might be to compensate for folding.

also, the fold type would be specified by you when you send it to your printer of choice, although some do only one type of fold.

Either Trifold/Letterfold/Roll \_/

or Z-fold /\/

Thanks for the reply Becky, clears it up a lot about bleeds. :) Is margin the same? What margin is generally best to have?

With the \_/ and /\/ ... Basically, I wondered about the fold, because a person I know who does print stuff mentioned that for trifold (\_/) one column on the page is a little bit wider than the other column, to completely cover the underneath column when it folds over. But as you said it's hardly anything.. just 0.2mm.. so im not sure. The thing is it really affects which column you put what in.. because obviously with a trifold, the 'front page' is going to lie in a diff column than with a z-fold.. so I really need to find out :/

hi emma, ive done a few tri fold leaflets before and it is standard to have one column 2mm smaller so that when the page folds it sits neatly inside the leaflet. Last time I did a trifold it was A4 in width, so one spread was 100mm in width, the next one was 99mm and the third spread was 98mm which overall made the 297mm width of an A4 but enabled each spread to fold neatly and tuck into each other.
________
2SEXYHORNY4U

Talk to whoever will be printing it they should be happy to help an may be able to provide you with the right template.

If you're unsure about what page goes where I find the best way is to get a sheet of a4 fold it as the leaflet would be folded and scribble what's going on each page. Then you have a guide, worked for the couple I've done anyhow :)

Thanks becky that helps a lot actually to visualise it. The thing is, if it's a trifold, of course the pages will be different in order to a z-fold (I know the names now..haha)

hi emma, ive done a few tri fold leaflets before and it is standard to have one column 2mm smaller so that when the page folds it sits neatly inside the leaflet. Last time I did a trifold it was A4 in width, so one spread was 100mm in width, the next one was 99mm and the third spread was 98mm which overall made the 297mm width of an A4 but enabled each spread to fold neatly and tuck into each other.

-- Thanks for this Dave, so you think this template is a trifold, not z-fold?? Thatd be so helpful to know.

I cant really speak to the people printing it, as this is up to the lady who wants the flyer/brochure.

I imagine this would be a trifold, as a Z fold would have the same size end panels, while a trifold would have the end that folds inside slightly smaller, to account for sitting neatly within.

Again I'd ask whoever is printing/folding what measurements they want you to use, as that way they can't blame this if they mess the job up.

Just passing by at the end of my days work so my quick input agrees with Renniks!

If the right column is slighty smaller then it would be specifically for a trifold design - however as said, could easily be used as a Z fold if the printer was told to do that kind of fold - would just mean the back panel would be slightly smaller.

But yeh, the right column is smaller so it fits nicely inside the "brochure" otherwise it would automatically open and would have a curve to it!

Hi Emma, i have people getting confused about the names of fold all the time, we have some visuals on our site to help people a little PrintedEasy.com | Leaflets

Also we always do laser proofs before printing folded leaflets to make sure they work properly, if your unsure about your pagination just print one yourself and fold it :)

Thanks for the help :) I unfortunately couldnt see what you meant on that page, but I'm told I have to make fold lines on the final PDF that I send to the printer, is this relatively straightforward?? Im using inDesign.

Yea just do the fold lines in a Bright Pantone colour, then its easy for the printer to take the lines off when they print. I dont ever use inDesign though, surely you can measure how far a line is from the edge of the page pretty easy though?

emmaburge said:
Thanks for the help :) I unfortunately couldnt see what you meant on that page, but I'm told I have to make fold lines on the final PDF that I send to the printer, is this relatively straightforward?? Im using inDesign.

Really easy.

Create a colour like 100 Magenta - rename it 'FOLD LINE - DO NOT PRINT' make it a dotted line, make it a spot, make it overprint (otherwise it'll become part of your artwork in the process plates).

Export pdf and double check.

Back