Question about portfolio pieces?

gcol90

I've been practicing my illustration work and redrew a cartoon character that I used to watch as a kid. I also did it cuz I like the style it's drawn in and wanted to try out some shading. Now it's finished, I quite like it and curious, if I were to turn it into a poster and to put on my portfolio - to show certain skills or whatever, could I do that?

to the best of my knowledge yes you can because it's something you created from scratch even though the character was already 'designed' for you.
You could cover yourself with a small disclaimer saying cartoon character was originally designed by xyz or similar

That would all be fine as long as you're not hoping to sell the poster. It really depends on how much you have copied it. If you have changed it drastically by
rendering it differently, that would be ok. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you'd want it on your portfolio, it's not really your own work. Why not have a go at doing
your own character in a similar style? :)

Yeah not gonna sell it, just like the way it's come out - considering I haven't done that much in Illustrator and this was merely a way of practising Illustrations and shading. I might try and change the style then or something, make a poster with that. But for now, I could whack it on my folio provided I state it was just for illustration practise and give the correct credit to the original designer/company etc? Just haven't updated my portfolio in a while and wanted to add something.

if you don't use it on your portfolio at least put it up so we can have a good laugh then :p

scotty said:
Not sure how I'd take that?
Hang on......yes I do.
I don't know.... and I'm meant to be the serious one on here....it had a sticky out tongue smiley :rolleyes:
It's pretty obvious I don't do illustrative work, I've said it in numerous posts, so even a bad one is going to be better than mine and if it's the one mentioned below it's not actually bad... although it does raise some concerns about gcols (and my) sanity lol
gcol90 said:
haha, it's up... just not in this thread ;)
is it the new one in your Spock sponsored by nike thread..... see's Cosmo..... yeah I'm not sure what's worse me knowing who it is or you picking that show :p

yep, he's in my nike spock thread. ermmmm, i wanna lean towards you knowing who he is. I mean, I did watch it when I was like ten. guilty pleasure, levi? :p

What everyone else said :)
Yes yes, no need to thank me for my valuable contribution to this thread.

Back