Question about logo quidelines

Yan

Hello,

I'm not sure if that's what they are called but I see a lotof designers use these guidelines when finalizing their logos.

Does anyone know what their purpose is? My guess is that they are to make porportions precise and easier to reproduce?
Are they neccessary in all logo designs, and how can they be used for more complicated organically shaped logos like say Starbucks or logos with handwritten letters?

Attachments

• guide.JPG
    guide.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 13
Brand guidelines give the dos and donts of using the logo. Size, space around it, colour combos, etc. The purpose is to give consistent look and feel no matter who produces them.

Are you meaning those circles and the golden ratio thing rather than brand guide lines?

Are you meaning those circles and the golden ratio thing rather than brand guide lines?
Sorry if I was unclear, I meant the lines.

Now that you've mentioned it, any idea why the golden ratio is used in this particular case? I'm not seeing its purpose in the apple logo.

It can be used to prove anything...

28a.jpg

LOL! No worries @Yan

I've seen a lot of this over the past couple of years and especially recently.
An image or logo that has been constructed from perfect circles.

In all honesty, I'm not sure what the thinking is apart from maybe to say "look what a clever Designer I am". ;)

There however is some solid design principals behind using the Golden Ratio (rule of thirds) and pure geometric shapes like the circle.
When I create a logo, I will often try to use constrained (perfect) circles for many of the curves where I can as there is a kind of purity there.

I think that Apple example has been made retrospectively by someone else to show how this applies but if you look, there are not that many that are used to construct the main part of the apple shape and the curves of the Golden Ratio could be made to fit many things if you turn it around.
A bit like using French Curves to draw lines.

...Or Donald Trump's head.

Well played:LOL:
@scotty Thanks Scotty that was very helpful! I will try it for my next logo!:)

There was actually a bit of a discussion about the use of the Golden Ratio and logo design just a couple of weeks ago or so.

Some Designers apply it to almost everything that make.

In all honesty, I'm not sure what the thinking is apart from maybe to say "look what a clever Designer I am". ;)

This is what I tend to think, i.e. it's a way of showcasing that the client is getting something 'designed'. Ultimately it's padding and is just there for people who appreciate grids. Some are impressive, especially if they're hand done with actual mathematics and formulae. Most of the time though it's just a composition consisting of circles that conform to the golden ration. I tried the technique once and it doesn't feel like I was designing something. It was more akin to finding a design in the chaos than actually thinking about what I was producing.

Ok I think I can understand why the OP is confused with the apple logo, it's got the a golden ratio spiral on the apple logo but it doesn't actually relate to anything in the entire design.

I can understand all the circles as it's 'relative position' and ensures the design stays the same as it's scaled etc but the golden ratio spiral is literally just placed on top with no correlation to anything else, it's like it's been put there to 'look clever' as said.

Back