Question about applying to design studios

Vladislav

Hi guys ! I have a question to those that owns a design studio or applied for a job in a design studio: Have you applied with a normal/standard CV (made in microsoft word ) or one that is designed in Illustrator/Indesign ?
I am sorry if my question sound's stupid but I want to know if at your studio a different CV is appreciated or not !

I totally agree with Paul, you need to stand out from the rest, we get tons of CV's a year and as Paul says I hardly ever bother looking at anything supplied in word, it's the ones that catch my eye that get my attention.

I'd personally try to do your C.V. in either Illustrator or Indesign and save it out as a PDF and try to keep it down to one or two pages.
Keep it simple, VERY clear and relevant as people skim read these things.
This it if you're applying to design companies directly.

On the flip side, recruitment agencies quite often request a C.V. in MS Word.
To me this is like writing it down on the back of a napkin but I think this is because most recruiters are a waste of space and don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to design.
Maybe it's because they use extracting software to get your details from your C.V. and onto their system?

On the flip side don't try and do anything too radical and impractical, such as sending a CV cake (it will be eaten immediately). Ideas are great, but you need to produce ideas in a format that actually works. As well as a CV, you should also be trying to get to know people in studios. Get portfolio critiques, attend design events and chat to people. 100% of people I know who got a job in a studio had a prior connection to that studio, typically through a job placement/internship or buying knowing someone who knows someone.

It really is a case of who you know in the design industry.

On the flip side, recruitment agencies quite often request a C.V. in MS Word.

This was an issue I ran into many years ago, so I had to really dumb down my AI CV design so that it can 'convert' efficiently into MS Word; rather than it looking like a CV that has been chewed up and spat out with the text, design, formatting, layers, columns etc all over the place once you try to create a MS Word version.

Back