query from a graphic-illiterate

Jill

Hi, I'm Jill.
I've no knowledge of the graphic world. I'm building a fashion website and need a certain type of images for it. I've identified the type of images i want. (attached from shutterstock) My queries to all of you are:
- what are these type of images / graphics called?
- is there a particular software / tool to create these?
- is it possible to simple convert flat png / jpg images into this format? (by format i don't mean the extension, but the look of the images - it's some kind of a 3-d effect)
Any / all advice would be super valuable! It's like I'm trying to find a needle in the haystack..without knowing if it's indeed a needle that I'm looking for! please help!

Attachments

• ideal.jpg
    ideal.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 5
What do you mean exactly when you say : fashion website.

what will be the purpose of your website? What we gonna found on it?

- what are these type of images / graphics called?

vectoriel images

is there a particular software / tool to create these?

Illustrator (or inkscape)

is it possible to simple convert flat png / jpg images into this format?

Off course you can but is it simple? mhhh not for a beginner.

Thanks for your reply Athos! I'm setting up a custom clothing business and customers can choose a sketch to get their clothes made to measure - through a website. I don't intend to do the graphic work myself, But needed to know what it is that I am looking for, to be able to explain to anyone I hire / take help from.

Also, is is correct to say I want flat sketches converted to vectorial format as my project brief? what format do my flat sketches have to be for the designer to convert them to this art form? attached is a sample of what i will have.. this sample is a jpg from the net.

Attachments

• dress 1.jpg
    dress 1.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 3
what is interesting with vectoriel is the fact that you can re-size without loosing quality. A bitmap picture (what you call flat here) every time you try to re-size it you loose quality and you've got a pixelized picture.
I'm not sure (but maybe i'm wrong) you don't necessary need vectoriel picture in your case. Correct me if i'm wrong but people just choose a sketch then you work on a real model, yes?

Your attached file dress 1.jpg looks clean and if what you want is just this 3d effect your artist or designer can easily do it just by painting on this picture.

yes, the normal is to go from a flat sketch (that's fashion illustration jargon) to a model. But since my website does not offer any live models wearing any clothes that you order, i want to make it more appealing to the lay person ordering on the basis of a sketch. These vectorial images that i shared with you make up the next-best-thing to an actual model / photo of the product. hence..
so, as you mentioned, what should my brief to the designer be in this case? to paint on the flat sketch and do what? (please pardon the complete daft-ness!)

Hi Gill, you need to commission an illustrator, or at least a graphic designer that can illustrate too.

It really depends how your flat sketches have been produced. A sketch to us means a rough draft. What you have shown there is a line illustration or line art.
An illustrator should be able to produce a 'colour' (your ideal) version of these in either Photoshop (jpeg etc) or Illustrator (vector), but they may need to create their own
line illustration first.

Back