Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QR Codes

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Chris Lord, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

Over the last few weeks I've noticed that a lot of companies/people are putting QR Codes on their website... This to me just seems ridiculous and maybe it's just done to jump on the bandwagon?! Who knows.

The one question I have (I've filtered it down to one) is:

(In general and I know there will be some cases where it's valid...) Why would you want to send someone from their PC or Mac to a link that they can only view on their phone - a much smaller and limited browser?... I don't really want to take out my phone to view a link to another webpage unless it is completely relevant for it to be viewed solely on a mobile...

Any takers?

They do have their uses I know, although this could also be debatable also...

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

I'm putting one on my business card which will likely (still looking into the best combination) go to a mobile webpage with a vcard, link to main site etc to save the person typing it all in.

As to on a website, can't see the point except for links to android marketplace....

3. mcskillz

mcskillz Member

Exceptional misuse and misunderstanding of this technology could ultimately prove to be its downfall.

My favourites are QR codes on underground subway ads. That's useful where you can't even get a signal!

4. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

They have their uses, but a QR code on a site, unless it has some fun value simikar to this...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3qv2dSXQXk[/YOUTUBE]

or links directly to a download relevant to your mobile (app or something), is a pointless exercise.

One of the first HTML commands anyone learns is the a link. If you are on your computer, why wouldn't you just click the freaking link?

5. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

@Levi - I can see it has some use on a business card. I'm still not sure about linking to your site though, I would want to view it on my Mac still...

@McSkillz - I agree! I'm not sure if they thought about the logistics of the underground QR Code?! haha

@Mrp - I agree they do have their uses, at the moment. Have you seen the one of the CV with a youtube video? That's pretty cool.

I've noticed a lot of belated buzz from agencies at the minute and it seems they're throwing them at everything!

6. mcskillz

mcskillz Member

I did a job for a popular vodka bar that involved the customers scanning the codes on posters to see what offer was 'hot' over the course of the night. It'd take them to a page with a phrase they had to repeat at the bar to get said promo.
    The job came out pretty nice and kept people engaged.

Attached Files:

7. Levi

QR Codes are designed for 'mobile' browsing, you'd still be able to go see my main site using a web browser on a pc (which is easier to type on) as I wouldn't leave out normal text just for a qr code.

The way I'm thinking at the moment is that the qr code would link to a mobile page of my site, it would have telephone number, email and address visible and also links to a vcard so you don't need to type in my details on your phone (which normally is synced with your desktop address book) and a link to my site (maybe just mobile depending on how I code it) for looking at my services then and there.

The reason I'm thinking of doing it this way is you can now use html code so that newer mobile phones (android and iphone definitely do) detect telephone numbers and will just dial out from your site if you click on it, in the same way we have been able to do with email.

Oh and don't forget microsofts tag format too, same as a qr but coloured lol

It would be an extra feature not the basis of my site etc and like I say my business card would have all the usual telephone, name etc on it.

8. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

That's an interesting use. I do wonder if it would get tedious though... But that's just me!

http://www.c71123.com/poster-holder/ ;)

@ Levi - I get what you mean. As long as it doesn't replace the text content! I'm still not sold on this use though, just doesn't seem worth it! It takes 2 seconds to type in someone's details or to call them... I'm not sure if people are that lazy ;) haha

9. Levi

Like I say I'm looking into the best option, you can use the qr code as the vcard if you want so I may just go that way but that doesn't help if things change..

With most smartphones you can add details for address, multiple telephone numbers (although doubt I'd include mobile), multiple email, web addresses, photo etc so it would take a fair few minutes to add all that.

It may not get used but it's there as an option, it's not for the amount of space it would take up at the end of the day

10. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

It's worth a shot! They don't have to be that big.

11. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

Thats a dam good idea! Suddenly I wish I had a showreel!

We are in the middle of a project for a new housing development, and we are aiming to do a series of postcards(one per apartment type) with a code linking to a video walkthrough.

12. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

That sounds like a good use! I hope that you'll accompany the QR Code with some short form of explanation, ie. Scan for a video walkthrough! Rather than a random barcode with no explanation!

13. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

Always include it. Not including it is part of the problem!

We have been looking into the custom shaped examples as well. They aren't too complicated to make, and then they can be incorporated better.

14. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

That is true!

Custom shaped?! What do you mean by this? I've seen some with image overlays and horrible photoshop filters, but not different shapes!

15. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

HOW TO: Make Your QR Codes More Beautiful

you can have a lot of fun with it, if you are feeling brave! It is a bit messy, trial and error getting the balance between too much detail and not enough.

[​IMG]

great example of how it can be done. Get a little 8-bit design style!

16. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

Thanks for the link, it looks interesting.

I like the Disney posters - I wonder what they do when you scan it?! I tried but it wasn't having it!

17. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I've done the same thing, I'm a little sad about that too! The downside is it was an ad campaign for disney japan.

We have gone through loads of tria and error to get the balance of contrast right, which is what the scanners read, so we can have some fun with it.

There is a sting on the discovery channel using one, it looks like it has been made out of lego and links to more info on their new shows.

I'm really behind them and I do love how much fun you can have with them. I wish I could share a video we have made with you, but the whole thing is still under NDA.

18. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

I won't tell if you won't ;)

19. Russell

Russell Member

20. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I'm really proud of the piece, I haven't even shown my girlfriend!