Pyeongchang 2018 - Winter Olympics Logo

Today I found this article talking about the logo for the 2018 Winter Olympic Games - http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/winter_olympics.php . I thought it could be a good excuse to open a discussion concerning the direction design is taking.
Sometimes I have the impression that we are going too far in terms of minimalistic and conceptual approach. Every now and again I bump on logo designs literally composed of two lines that should convey an idea. However, if my trained eye cannot catch that idea, I am likely to think an ordinary individual might not either. There are certainly exceptions, especially when the target audience is so narrow and specific that you ignore the existence of that world yourself. But speaking in general, I am wondering if we - as a global designer community - are truly doing people's interests.

Did London 2012 start off some kind of international crap logo contest?
I think making it so culturally specific has really worked against the brief. I mean sure, it's hosted in Korea, but it's a global event for (virtually) every country to participate in. To me it looks like a rubbish stick house, next to a rubbish stick sun. I did actually watch one of the videos and I liked the rain, snow, land etc visuals but I'm not a fan of the logo at all.

Sean Lee-Amies said:
I think making it so culturally specific has really worked against the brief. I mean sure, it's hosted in Korea, but it's a global event for (virtually) every country to participate in.
Not sure I'd agree with this. Yes the Olympics is one of the most culturally diverse events on the planet, but that's what the rings are the to represent. The individual logos are meant to celebrate everything about the host nation, as with the opening ceremony.
Back to the logo. For me it's the colouring that's letting it down. I can't not see Google. I really like the actual mark and when it's in monochrome white on the dark blue of the sky flags I think it looks really nice.
I'm a sucker for these kinds of designs though.

Yes, well I suppose you could argue that either way. What I meant to say is that there could be a flaw with such a decision, in that so many people are going to simply look at it and have no idea what its meant to represent that all of the values behind the logo will be completely lost on, I imagine, most of the planet!

Sean Lee-Amies said:
Really? I preferred the 2012 logo!
Did you just prefer it out of two bad options or did you actually like it?
EDIT: Nevermind, where's the "delete" button? : )

As I said, preferred it ;) However, I did like how they went about the logo design, because of their strategy we're still talking about its design, over a year later!

Sean Lee-Amies said:
As I said, preferred it ;) However, I did like how they went about the logo design, because of their strategy we're still talking about its design, over a year later!
Haha, I can think of a few designs for an Olympics logo that would have people talking about it for years.
I can't guarantee that they would say good things, but they would be talking about it : D

Blah. I like the branding style and yes, also reminds me of the google nexus branding, which I like - but its all this airy-fairy 'representation' 'symbolism' 'metaphorical' rubbish which I don't really get. I can see how they reached that final logo but stating something like 'its not a closed box to represent the openness that the Olympics bring' blah. Anyway, I liked the presentation of the video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycPIn-bAe8E

Back