Proper setting for vectorizing using "image trace".

Mike Zwingli

Hi, guys. I finally discovered where my threads were disappearing to! Got the message...I will post anything having to do with this project here from now on.

I have completed my design, and now wish to use "image trace" to vectorize it. I am wondering if there is any difference in the result of an image trace from being in "direct select" as opposed to "select". Since I don't know this software very well yet, I am loath to simply go on and experiment with it, although at this point I could probably reproduce my design quite readily.

Thanks, Mike

I strongly suggest you do not use the image trace feature, it's very poorly implemented, it's only really for very simplisitic drawings.

However, if you must use it, there is a bit of experimentation with it - but it's quite intuitive.

Best to draw it in the vector program yourself though.

Actually, I have another question as well. Having my object selected in "select", Illustrator does not seem to be allowing an image trace. Now, the original file which I used elements of for my design was an SVG file. The file, however, is saved as a .ai file. Might the fact that I started with an SVG impede my ability to perform an image trace on it? Must I resave the file as other than .ai to vectorize it? I am kind of stuck here. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, hankscorpio.
I strongly suggest you do not use the image trace feature, it's very poorly implemented...Best to draw it in the vector program yourself though.
I do not even know how to do that. Is there a vector drawing setting within Illustrator? I am completely new to Adobe software.
By the way, what is the origin of that quotation?

It's a bit difficult to say without seeing the file and picking it apart.

An Ai file can contain rasters as well as vectors and they can be grouped together and all sorts of other things.
This can effect some of its functions.

Image trace is just used for vectoring raster images. If you've produced it with Illustrator, it's already a vector.

An Ai file can contain rasters as well as vectors and they can be grouped together and all sorts of other things.
This can effect some of its functions.
Image trace is just used for vectoring raster images. If you've produced it with Illustrator, it's already a vector.
If the figure that I started with, then, was an SVG, which I believe to be all vector, and all the changes and enhancements that I made were done in Illustrator, then the entire image should be vector/composed of vector shapes, no? If so, that should leave me with just the problem of converting all the colors to black and white. Maybe if I "ungroup" the image, and select the colored bits, I can then change the fill on them to black...

Another route is to get some practice - www.lynda.com offer a full month free membership.
I have encountered the name "lynda", I think while searching for YouTube videos during this project.
If you're unsure how to create this one of our members would be able to do this for you - you can request in the appropriate forum for quotes.
I might resort to that, if I can't figure out how to finalize this. I'm sure any of you all could finish this off in short order; it's nothing that complex, graphically. I tend to be fairly dogged in searching for solutions to problems, though. Thanks for the link, though, just in case.

If the figure that I started with, then, was an SVG, which I believe to be all vector, and all the changes and enhancements that I made were done in Illustrator, then the entire image should be vector/composed of vector shapes, no? If so, that should leave me with just the problem of converting all the colors to black and white. Maybe if I "ungroup" the image, and select the colored bits, I can then change the fill on them to black...

By the sounds of it they should all be vectors but on most occasions it's just not as simple as selecting everything an setting the fill to black.
Sometimes, especially when you're not familiar with how it was originally made it can be a bit of a nightmare to pick apart and you may end up with a bunch of layered black shapes that make a silhouette.

Say if you have a blue circle on a white background with a smaller white circle on top.
This will look like a ring or donut but if you select them both and make them black then you will end up with what looks like a solid black circle.

The best result would probably to select it piece by piece and change it that way but mage sure you make a backup copy just in case. ;)
Just watch out for groups within groups.

Eureka! I believe that I have what the engraver is looking for: all black and white and, I believe, all vector. It seems to look good and "crisp" enough. I'm happy that I could do it myself, so as to personalize the gift a little. All that I have to do now is scale it down to the size that I need, which is 1 7/8 inches. The scale tool in illustrator appears to only work in percentages of the original. Having started with a 10 inch original, how can I determine when it has been scaled down to 1 7/8?

Algebra perhaps: 100%/10 inches = x/(1 7/8 inches); 7/8 inches equals 0.875 inches, so: x = [100 % (1.875)]/10; x = 18.75%?

The issue is, I believe that it must be nearly exactly 1 7/8 inches...

I tried that, and the image reduced, but on screen, it measures just a hair over 1 6/8 inches. my original (10 inch) artboard, however, measured only 9 3/8 inches on screen. My resulting question is: will I end up with a 1 7/8 inch diameter image even though it measures only 1 6/8 on screen?

An update:
I have tried to "scale down" my object to 1 7/8 inches, which is 1.875 inches, using both the scale tool and the "transform" option in the "Window" drop down menu. Both times, the resulting figure on the screen measured about 1 11/16 inches, which is 3/16 of an inch shy of what I need. I am feeling somewhat stumped by this. Any ideas?

The transform tool should set the size to whatever you want it to be.
Saying that. I don't work in inches.

I think the company that is making the die should be able to do that for you anyway.

Thanks, scotty.
I think the company that is making the die should be able to do that for you anyway.
Yes, I'm sure that they can, and they know the requirements of their cnc machines. I just would like to send the engraver something that they don't have to screw with too much to obtain the desired result. I thought it curious that the transform tool should render the design smaller than what I specified, though, whether in inches or centimeters. I feel that the cause must be something with my original artboard setup, or...something...

Hmmm? Just a thought.

You haven't got an object grouped in there set to no fill or line?
Essentially, invisible.

You could check it by going to "outline view" by pressing command + Y and you should see it if there is.

Back