Project dashboard, tracking, client portal type thingy

eddypeck

I'm looking for a better way to communicate to clients, rather than email visuals I'd like to have an online portal type of thing where I can post designs for clients to review. I'd like to build up a historical picture of revisions and record sign offs etc. I'm happy to host this, can set up project specific sub domains or something and just send a link to the client where they can see visuals etc.

I've seen a few off the shelf products out there but haven't investigated too deeply. And I've used basecamp in the past but I think it's overkill for what I want. Ideally I don't want anything where the client will need to create an account as I feel this will be offputting for them and they just won't use it.

I'm not even bothered about it being two way, I don't think I need the cleint being able to upload or post comments so I'm happy to create and manage a manual html page.

Any examples, thoughts, recomendations etc would be greatfully received.

cheers

Basecamp is the one I woud have said. Other than that i'm not sure on any others. Would be interested to know of any myself...

I'm looking for a better way to communicate to clients, rather than email visuals I'd like to have an online portal type of thing where I can post designs for clients to review. I'd like to build up a historical picture of revisions and record sign offs etc. I'm happy to host this, can set up project specific sub domains or something and just send a link to the client where they can see visuals etc.

I've seen a few off the shelf products out there but haven't investigated too deeply. And I've used basecamp in the past but I think it's overkill for what I want. Ideally I don't want anything where the client will need to create an account as I feel this will be offputting for them and they just won't use it.

I'm not even bothered about it being two way, I don't think I need the cleint being able to upload or post comments so I'm happy to create and manage a manual html page.

Any examples, thoughts, recomendations etc would be greatfully received.

cheers

You could go the whole hog and have some sort of file/project management system but you've kind of ruled that out as it's probably overkill so the easiest option would probably be (optional) password protected 'sub domains' with their own index page with maybe a script or manually filled html page that shows all the files in that folder.

Name the files so they include dates and it's should allow easy hunting for a particular revision.

All you would need to do is send a link + password to the clients index page plus keep a record of all the passwords you have set.

Having said that I kind of still like the idea of the 'portal' as it just seems a little more professional than just a page to link to...

Some 'free' options from softaculous (usually available on most hosts now) but also usually directly from the program creators can be found at http://www.softaculo...apps/projectman
They also do some 'file management' options too http://www.softaculous.com/softaculous/apps/files

softaculour usually has demos but seems to be having a few issues at the moment

I use software called Drop Box. If you haven't heard of it, it's basically a syncd folder that you can share via the internet on any computer, i.e. your clients. What you can then do is set up a series of directories within that folder to contain all of your designs and any revisions.

It's free up to 2GB and you can then expand that by doing certain tasks, i.e. completing guides, inviting people etc up to around 20GB I believe. It might not be the best solution for your scenario, only you can really decide that, but it's something else to try right?

Other than that, Basecamp and the softaculous apps I wouldn't know else to recommend, sorry!

Back