Professional Salon-Based Hairdresser seeking Graphic Designer for poster and flyer

snitchdnb21

Hi, I am seeking an up and coming Graphic Designer to design a stylish poster and flyer design for advertising purposes.

The poster and flyer will be handed around local communities and posted in shop windows.

Looking for a relatively quick project (if possible) of good quality, would be a great opportunity to help build portfolio and experience for yourself, you will be credited on the designs and I will be a reference for employers for yourself if wanted.

Please contact me for more information!

Becky :D

Instead of crediting me for the design work, would you be up for giving my partner and I a free wash/cut/ style that we can credit you for?

Sorry didn't see the rules properly

Everyone wants to be paid in hard cold cash but a voluntary work position to gain vital experience to gain employment would benefit someone, no?

"1) It is not clever to seek a student or beginner in an attempt to get design work for free. It’s ignorant and insulting."

Please explain your reasoning? Ignorant? Insulting?

I am not taking advantage of a student or beginner? Its a mutual situation, You help me, It helps you?

Employment is hard and so are times, boasting an ego of 'money, money, money' does not help anyone and voluntary work is potentially essential to gaining employment.

would be a great opportunity to help build portfolio and experience for yourself, you will be credited on the designs and I will be a reference for employers for yourself if wanted.

This is a common line often used to tempt naive designers into working for free. Whilst I'm sure your intentions are good, these things simply don't help. The only way you can help a young designer grow is to actually pay them.

Have you spoken to local printers? Most offer a design service on top of printing costs, and will likely turn out cheaper than hiring a designer and then getting work printed separately. I can't guarantee a good quality design, but with design, you get what you pay for.

This is a common line often used to tempt naive designers into working for free. Whilst I'm sure your intentions are good, these things simply don't help. The only way you can help a young designer grow is to actually pay them.

Your reasons are not stated though, you have both told me it 'doesn't help'.

Graphic Designer 1; No experience in providing designs for clients or up and coming businesses because I "should" be paid for it.

Volunteered Graphic Designer 2; Experienced in providing efficacious designs for clients over a period of *blah*.. etc.. built up client base etc..

Who would you employ?

Free or paid, experience is experience.

My intentions are purely good, and I am not here to be rude, dictate anyone or insult by all means. These rules just do not make sense.

Last edited:
These rules just do not make sense.

Noted. We'll look to update the forum rules in the near future to make it clearer.

In answer to your question, free work doesn't always benefit a designer (or even the client) as it is always the client who stands to gain more from the deal. Obviously, times are hard, but imagine if you were in our situation, and someone asked you for a free hairstyle, in exchange for telling everyone that asks them it that it was you that styled it. Would you honestly accept?

Alternatively, look at it this way. The work you're asking for will eventually be used to promote your business directly to potential customers, and as such it will be a direct reflection on you. A bad design can have a dramatic impact on the appearance and success of a business. Cheap design, leads to cheap work, which leads to a cheap image for the client. Also, little errors that an inexperienced designer is prone to making, can easily end up costing you more in re-printing costs than it would have originally cost to hire a professional.

There's more to graphic design than creating things that simply look nice. Design is a service to businesses, and as such, designers need to know a hell of a lot more than just how to make things look good (copyright laws, for example, so a client doesn't get sued for using stock photography without permission). This is often overlooked or simply just not known by a lot of clients who are hoping to get the same quality of work that a professional would provide but at a lower rate, or even for free.

It may be worth you asking for quotes from some designers on here. You don't have to accept, and you may even be pleasantly surprised. :icon_smile:

"1) ... Its a mutual situation, You help me, It helps you? ...

You're not the first to think that this is the way the design world works and you won't be the last (it's a widespread yet ignorant notion), but the thing I take issue with here is that your desired outcome helps you - a professional salon-based hairdresser - build a larger, more lucrative client base, whereas the designer (non-professional in this scenario by virtue of the fact that there is no fee involved) walks away with the dubious (and frankly insulting) non-honour of merely being credited for their own work.

You're correct when you say that times are hard but asking for something that will add value to your business on what is basically a favour-from-a-stranger basis (however it's dressed up) rather than acknowledging that that which adds value has value sounds suspiciously like offsetting your own hardship against someone elses; any investment has an element of risk attached but it's only fair that the person who stands to benefit from that investment ought to be prepared to be the one that carries any risk.

There are people out there who are happy to work on a voluntary basis but, if that's the way they want to play it, I would urge them to give up their time to not-for-profit enterprises rather than being suckered into working free of charge to help someone feather their own nest on the promise of them being prepared to say how happy they are with the work you did for them (and let's face it: anyone who said otherwise in such a case would be plain rude).

Back