problem with logo

TomStutt

Hi

I have a logo and i want to cut the background out the image. HOW DO I DO THIS?

Im doing it in photoshop and tried the lasso tool but it looked crap after doing it.

HELP

Zoom right in and use a brush to do it, either delete or if your a non destructive photoshopper do it with a mask. (use a feathered edge brush on 100% opactity but work small)

Otherwise you could use the lassoo/magnetic lassoo tool and then correct the edges with a brush, dodge/burn or even just feather it 1px...

Cmd+W - quick selection tool. press the blue parts. You may have to re-establish the drop shadow tho...

Why wasn't it done in PSD format with the background as a single layer?

oooooowwww ouch, don't use the brush tool or magic wand or anything like that If you want a decent job cut it out with the PEN tool properly or re-create it in illustrator/photoshop?! - what is the logo?

As previously said.

Get your pen tool out and clip clip clip away!

Lasso's are for cowboys (see what i did there?), pens are for designers (and again!).

Or redraw it in freehand or illustrator - if its simple you could even do that illy live trace - and rehash the floppy bits.

its a music note and it has a white background which i want to get rid of.

thanks for all your help.

I would bring it into illustrator and redraw it personally :) would only take about 10 minutes to make :)

tbwcf said:
oooooowwww ouch, don't use the brush tool or magic wand or anything like that If you want a decent job cut it out with the PEN tool properly or re-create it in illustrator/photoshop?! - what is the logo?

I was assuming it was something other than lettering, brushing is pretty much the ONLY method ive ever found that works for details such as hair, any other tool is likely to leave a defined edge, depends on what your doing really though.

Like all things in photoshop there are a hundred ways of achieving the same outcome.

--

edit: posted that before reading what it was intended for

Definately just redraw it - if you cant there will be other fonts/premade shapes suitable.... There is a function in photoshop to remove a set colour like they do in the weather forecast (green screening) but I have no idea where it is)

br3n said:
I was assuming it was something other than lettering, brushing is pretty much the ONLY method ive ever found that works for details such as hair, any other tool is likely to leave a defined edge, depends on what your doing really though.

Agreed... hair etc the brush/mask tool can be dam handy

br3n said:
There is a function in photoshop to remove a set colour like they do in the weather forecast (green screening) but I have no idea where it is)

select...colour range iirc (cs3 and cs4)

br3n said:
brushing is pretty much the ONLY method ive ever found that works for details such as hair, any other tool is likely to leave a defined edge, depends on what your doing really though.

I usually use brushes for hair as well, but tried this tutorial by Justin Maller a while back where he uses Alpha Masks and Pen Tool. I found it really good and got great results.

Computer Arts - Defringing hair

Back