Printing Grey

Designer156

Hi All,

I have a logo that needs a 75% grey, but suspect it might look a bit crap when printed if I use the CMYK colour 0C, 0M,0Y,75K

I know that for a rich black it's recommended to mix in some other colours and use something like 50C, 50M, 0Y, 100K. Sould I do something similar for grey? If so, what would be recommended?

Thanks

I'm sure one of the printers here could guide you in the right direction, but you might want to ask your printer direct :up:

adding colours to grey can make it warmer (browner) or cooler (bluer) in tone if you're not careful. Personally I'd get a test print done but thats just me.

I can't give much more advice than that as it's very rare I have to handle printing :)

Thanks for the comments so far.

The image is being sent to a company who's going to include the logo in a delegate pack so unfortunately I cannot ask the printer.

I did ask my local printer and his response was that 0,0,0,75 will be fine. But I'm not sure I trust him :( - it's a relatively small outfit and he seemed surprised at the question. Although, of course he could be right.

50,50,0,100 isn't something a lot of printers will get behind as it can be too much ink for it to dry without flashing, but again depends on the printer.

0,0,0,75 should be fine, its 25% less black than black, its nothing to worry about. It's grey, but as Levi said, adding other colours will change the tone, biggest problem is always going to be judging a colour on screen compared to in print. They are always different, if a printer says it is fine, its most likely fine.

If you got a pantone book, you could find a grey in there and look up the CMYK colour seperations, then you will know what you are getting :) Better yet a pantone colour bridge book, shows the pantones next to the CMYK equivelent.

Also mrp2049 most printers will happily print up to a total of 300% of all inks, it just need sealing / coating which dosent cost much extra and gives a better finish anyway.

Back