Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printers for thin paper

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Josella Caci, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Josella Caci

Josella Caci Member

I need to get an A0/any size bigger than A1 print on thin paper (like the style of a fashion pattern like below) I have had trouble latley trying to find somewhere that prints on paper this thin :(
    Can anyone reccomend any in the Staffordshire area, or any online sites?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

Hi Josella, how you doing?

The thinnest we print onto is 90gsm which won't be as translucent as that. I've just had a look and there's hardly any show through. I think you need to do a search for someone who does architectural plans on a plotter. search for 'plan printing on trace' or something and you should find someone :D

Like these people

Not used them, so it's not a recommendation :)

3. Josella Caci

Josella Caci Member

90gsm is too thick...

thank you! this link may be just what I need :up: i'll do some searches and let you know how I get on.
    My other alternative is to screen print onto thin paper in the workshops at uni, but I just want to see what my options are for getting it done professionally first.

4. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

For the time it takes you to screen it it would be better to get it printed and much cheaper too.

If not onto trace, maybe a polyester film which is like an opal finish and would be more durable.

best of luck!

Tom

5. Josella Caci

Josella Caci Member

yeah i thought so too, thanks for the advice. Its for a project in my degree portfolio.

Just out of curiosity when design agencies look at graduates work would they like to see pieces like this for example, that I have screen printed myself and put that extra effort and shown my skills/experimented with materials and techniques, or would it not really make much of a difference?

6. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

Personally I think it shows more initiative to get something produced the correct way than to spend hours doing it a different way to end up with mediocre results or even similarly good results. If you want to show off your screen printing skills and technique then use it on a project that warrants it. for something like these patterns if the best finished result is to get them professionally printed then that's the route you should go. If as an aside you can show your thought process including the consideration of screening them and reasons to back up why you didn't choose this as a viable solution, cost, quality, time.... etc. That might be good too. They're going to be looking for someone talented in the creative process but efficient with it, in both time scales and costs.

7. Josella Caci

Josella Caci Member

Tom Just to let you know I have rang this company this morning and was put through to a very polite man. He said he'd get this pattern printed for me and sent out no problemo! (I know you havn't used them before, but they seem to be reliable)

can't thank you enough for sending me this link, its really helped! :)

8. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

no worries, thanks for the update :D

9. paulyards

paulyards Junior Member

yeah thanks for the updates