Printed Portfolios

A0.

Hi

I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on printed portfolios.

Do you think they are used as much now or is a link to a website mostly used?

There are lots of great designs out there from interesting binding to pull out envelopes to unwrapping. Do you think the extra expense achieves a better result in gaining work?

Are people in favour of a short key description or a more detailed outline of the project, with details of any difficulties/solutions?

Should the language used be simple business or more design orientated?

Would you tailor a printed portfolio to the client/job, including language? Could get expensive for printing and binding a quantity of 1 especially if a very custom design.

Thanks

Can't say that I've used or needed one in about fifteen years.

Everyone has internet and can access my portfolio and I can use my MacBook to put work in front of people if needed.

I guess a lot depends on what you do really.
Almost all my work is digital anyway.
I guess if you mainly work in print and packaging then a physical portfolio is a must.

Unless requested by the client/project I wouldn't be wasting paper on anything in this day and age. It's created digitally so I usually supply in a digital format too, hell even invoices are mainly sent digitally these days too.

If anyone asks why I just say I try to be as 'eco friendly' as I possible within the limitations of the work that I do... and yes I do have solar panels :).

Can't say that I've used or needed one in about fifteen years.

Everyone has internet and can access my portfolio and I can use my MacBook to put work in front of people if needed.

I guess a lot depends on what you do really.
Almost all my work is digital anyway.
I guess if you mainly work in print and packaging then a physical portfolio is a must.
Thank You

Unless requested by the client/project I wouldn't be wasting paper on anything in this day and age. It's created digitally so I usually supply in a digital format too, hell even invoices are mainly sent digitally these days too.

If anyone asks why I just say I try to be as 'eco friendly' as I possible within the limitations of the work that I do... and yes I do have solar panels :).
Thank You

I'd say it depends on the job you're going for. If the role involves design for print it would probably help to show that you're conscious of how a nicely printed job feels, i.e Paper weights, colour, finish, etc etc. It can be a more memorable experience if you're willing to put the effort into making it feel really special.

Back