Print Resellers?

littlehoneyz

Hi Guys

I have fell into print reselling over the last couple of years.

Was wondering if there is any advice you guys have regarding print reseller schemes, any to use, any not to?

I was using a printer local to me who recently closed, and seen some keen pricing online.

Any advice is welcomed:icon_wink:

Print Reselling Information

Take a look at the following sites, all promoting myself mind :icon_wink:, however, you may pick up some useful information....

Print Reseller Scheme
Print Reselling
Print Reseller Schemes
Print Reseller

Loads of threads about this subject on here, a small selection below....

http://www.graphicdesignforums.co.uk/printing-print-design-forum/2423-print-resellers.html
http://www.graphicdesignforums.co.uk/printing-print-design-forum/1105-print-carrier-problems.html
http://www.graphicdesignforums.co.uk/printing-print-design-forum/1122-sense-creative.html
http://www.graphicdesignforums.co.uk/printing-print-design-forum/2862-print-cost-markup.html

My advice is to listen to recommendations from others, ALWAYS ask to see some general samples before placing any orders and price isn't everything.

Shame about the local printer - there will be many casualties this year/next year I suspect. Otherwise I agree with Boss Hog - price isn't everything - quality and delivery (when they say you get it you get it) are more important.

thanks guys, have you any real cheapies to avoid as i have a list of about 5 or 6 but there prices seem to be too good to be true compared to what i was paying

I agree with Boss Hog, price certainly isn't everything. Especially when your trying to compete with German printers offering print for unbelievably cheap prices. I believe that quality and reliability are two aspects where we can compete with the germans.

One of my sites: http://www.48print.co.uk , its a site I've set up dedicated purely to fast UK produced print. Everything on the site is guaranteed to be dispatched within 48 hours (quite often the very same day). I'm the first to admit, you'll most likely be able to get cheaper prices abroad, but what use is a cheap price if the clients orders is 2-3 days late and the events passed?!

Print resellings great, but its competitive. Good luck with your venture!

k

Print Resellers

Hi LittleHoneyz,

I too am fairly new to the print reseller game, although I have a fairly strong background in print. In my very short time as a self employed print reseller I have discovered that we need to be very careful about who we use, and what prices we offer.

Luckily I'm a bit of a freak toward checking out any supplier before using them, I dont mean like hiring Magnum to watch him through binoculars in his Ferrari, but just looking at reviews on the web and speaking to the sales staff, looking at who the parent company is etc.

One thing is for sure, cheap is very often not the best solution. I wont mention names on here as it is unfair, but I recently placed an order with a supplier after checking they could meet my clients delivery requirements. Then I emailed 2 days before delivery to check everything was on target. It was. Then I received a phone call at 1pm on the day of delivery to tell me it hadn't printed. So not only had they let me down, but they gave me no notice to deal with the problem. The attitude of the owner stunk, going as far as blaming my client for leaving the ordering too late?!?!!

I think as long as we all realize we need to build some fat into our lead times to the end user, and possibly a little fat in the price to cover unforeseen problems that could cost, I'm sure we won't go too far wrong.

I wish you all the best LittleHoneyz and hope to see us both in the market in years to come.

You know what else is happening? Print quality os going down the toilet.

I'm finding it really hard nowadays to get 100% perfect print jobs. Nobody seems to care about set off, roller marks, hickeys, all the things that printers used to get all worked up about are now deemed to be within 'commercial tolerance'.

Print Reseller?

So the option we have is either increase the price of print to accommodate the 'more professional' supplier, or try and keep up with the market by offering prices that attract.

Ultimately, as long as these cheaper options are available to end users, it makes the more diligent printer look over priced. People will need to decide whether they wish to pay for quality, or not?

Tricky one to deal with if you have a business that relies on good quality and good price, but that is what will set us apart from the competition, or not.

So the option we have is either increase the price of print to accommodate the 'more professional' supplier, or try and keep up with the market by offering prices that attract.

Ultimately, as long as these cheaper options are available to end users, it makes the more diligent printer look over priced. People will need to decide whether they wish to pay for quality, or not?

Tricky one to deal with if you have a business that relies on good quality and good price, but that is what will set us apart from the competition, or not.

I think you're right - someone that sets themselves apart on fantastic customer service and excellent quality would be a great. And an actual selling point, unlike price. I have plenty of clients who will happily pay a bit more if they' know they're not going to get crappy results.

It's all about a solid partnership for resale. But more you have to be on top of the marketing game every day as the field has become extremly competative and you might end up loosing money rather than making money

I think you're right - someone that sets themselves apart on fantastic customer service and excellent quality would be a great. And an actual selling point, unlike price. I have plenty of clients who will happily pay a bit more if they' know they're not going to get crappy results.

I have clients also that talk about quality but I know at the end of the day they will always just end up going with the cheapest. Do you really think your clients could resist a punt on a cheaper printer if they spotted an attractive offer? I don't think mine would...

I recently lost a customer because in an attempt to help keep his quote down, I used a cheaper printer. In all fairness the printer did reasonable job but it wasn't what the client wanted.

Hi guys, Im enjoying reading this feed. I'm still unsure of the print reseller schemes. Could anyone explain it in lay mans terms? I read the link that bosshog posted on another thread and get the gist...I have a customer/s, I source the print from a comany that I have ties/account with, I get it for trade price but charge full??

As many of you know Im not a practising professional. Im a wanna be gathering knowledge from where ever I can, when I can so that when I finally have the guts to take the bull by the horns I have an idea what Im at!

But annnyway...how do people make a job out of soley print reselling? Can you do it with multiple companies at a time? Sorry to be a nuisance, would love to know more, if anyone can be bothered!!

Cheers,

Hi guys, Im enjoying reading this feed. I'm still unsure of the print reseller schemes. Could anyone explain it in lay mans terms? I read the link that bosshog posted on another thread and get the gist...I have a customer/s, I source the print from a comany that I have ties/account with, I get it for trade price but charge full??

As many of you knowe Im not a practising professional. Im a wanna be gathering knowledge from where ever I can, when I can so that when I finally have the guts to take the bull by the horns I have an idea what Im at!

But annnyway...how do people make a job out of soley print reselling? Can you do it with multiple companies at a time? Sorry to be a nuisance, would love to know more, if anyone can be bothered!!

Cheers,

Print resellers sell print a lot cheaper than high street printers. So, you buy print off a reseller for say £50, add what ever margin you can get away with but whilst still remaining competitive - say £30. So you then sell it to your customer for £80 and your profit is £30. Your customer might be used to paying £150 from a high street printer so your £80 price looks like a bargin.

To make it worthwhile you obv need volume sales - this is why it suits graphic designers who can upsell their customers designs also. So in the above example you might make £30 profit on your print and also charge them £60 for designing them a leaflet or whatever. It would be difficult to make money if you were soley print selling alone without offering any other services to upsell to your customer. Having said that a lot of customers have print ready artwork (artwork anyway!) so don't need design doing but its still good to have other services you can upsell.

Using a few print resellers is a good idea as it means you won't be relying on just one in case they go bust, start being unreliable etc.

I Know what you mean about print quality unfortunately when you give someone 24 hours to turn a job round the chances are they will not check it thoroughly if at all before it leaves the premises,

Back