'Print & Pixels' possible web layout

hah, oops, the pattern wasn't supposed to be behind the text area. Was something else I was trying and forgot to turn the layer off when I saved for web :D

I'm not entirely enamoured with the pink :| But it's something that if I leave it for a few days and look at it again I'll be able to appreciate it more.

Well, here's a pink version. I'm going to be good and let it 'sit' til Monday. See it with a fresher outlook :p

Print&Pixels5c.jpg

Copy cat :p
Only kidding hun, you have your website whatever colour you like.

Its looking good (apart from you have moved my nav idea back!) :(
Much prefer the pink and blue scheme, but maybe with a filled in nav bar?

Im not so sure about the background. I think you need something along those lines but unsre of what at the moment, so maybe just keep playing around with that?

Nice work though, looking forward to seeing the final live site :)

PS: I still adore you logo! Its very clever!!
x

I've changed quite a lot of it, and since I really didn't like the sidebar I removed it completely, to add more emphasis to the work. Still a long way to go I think, as it doesn't have a 'polished' feel imo. But like I said, I'm not in a huge hurry to get this done.

Print&Pixels6.jpg

I like that. The navigation looks a whole lot better :)
I was thinking of having a similar nav to my site, but now I fear we may be heading too much down the same road... lol

Good work Becky & thanks again for the PM, started reading yesterday and learning a fair bit about WP! :)
x

cufon text replacement is really easy! - if you we're going to use it for your navigation though bear in mind that roll over states aren't supported (ie. you can't make it change colour on hover). - if you go down that road and get stuck gimme a shout.

Other than that squirrel fonts has some cool @font-face kits if you want to use css3 / includes .eot fonts for ie too - Font Squirrel | Download Hundreds of Free @font-face Fonts

I'm pretty sure Museo has a @font-face licensing (a h ha, it does to some extent License update II exljbris Font Foundry blog), but I might have a look at that. I was toying with using css sprites for the nav to negate any font replacement issues. But it's all still up in the air, until I'm happy with a design.

I'll keep all that in mind though, thanks :)

On your current website I think things you should consider are...

What's it for, what is most important?
I presume its for freelance work, so your work at the top is a good start...
Next, intro text (that works)
Blog, I would move this to the center over your twitter posts, I presume your blog will be more important? (will you keep a blog up/on topic/interesting? if not don't have one.. they're a lot of work)
Twitter Posts, are they generally related to the subject? if not don't have them... the odd post unrelated is ok it makes it personable but not "is pissed up and can't remember where I live" - that would be damaging.

Are "hire me" and "contact" the same thing? I presume they are pretty much, if its a freelance site people aren't really going to mail you for anything else?

Are you forcing content that just doesn't exist to pack it out.?

Are you limiting yourself too much in structure? header / 3 col / footer - maybe try and break some rules?

I do quiet like what you've done, I'm just trying to be constructive... I hope some of that helps!

My twitter's pretty design-orientated, hence it's inclusion, I don't really tend to put personal stuff on there. Just things I find on the twitterverse and such.

I have a fair bit of content I can use from work (InDesign and other tutorials I create for employees - very simple stuff) for a blog, which was why I added one. I also thought about maybe adding some case studies. I'd like a blog, but I'm not 100% sold on having one. I'm considering making the site and maybe adding one at a later date (the perks of sub domains), which might be a good compromise

I can see what you mean about the 'hire me', 'tis fairly redundant!

Very helpful thank you :)

That's cool then - if you do tutorials at work half the battle is done on the blog front, case studies are another easy one on projects you've done, then you'll find other bits and bobs along the way!

One other thing I meant to add too is always think who your designing this for, it helps when designing for yourself as its the worst thing in the world to do...

Are you...
a) Trying to impress other designers
b) Trying to showcase your work to potential new clients
c) looking to share your knowledge with the design communitee / help newbies
d) Enjoy driving yourself insane...

P.S I uploaded my "new" site today, don't think I like it, did when I first started designing it but gradually gone off it... but you have to seperate yourself from it really...

Also I think your current site works fine for now! so don't rush!

tbwcf said:
That's cool then - if you do tutorials at work half the battle is done on the blog front, case studies are another easy one on projects you've done, then you'll find other bits and bobs along the way!

One other thing I meant to add too is always think who your designing this for, it helps when designing for yourself as its the worst thing in the world to do...

Are you...
a) Trying to impress other designers
b) Trying to showcase your work to potential new clients
c) looking to share your knowledge with the design communitee / help newbies
d) Enjoy driving yourself insane...

P.S I uploaded my "new" site today, don't think I like it, did when I first started designing it but gradually gone off it... but you have to seperate yourself from it really...

Also I think your current site works fine for now! so don't rush!

I'm never pleased with anything I do, but that's how we all are. I don't think I've met a true designer/wannabe real designer who doesn't have a hint of perfectionism and obsession within them :)

a) hmmm other designers looking at it and not going 'eugh' is always a plus. There's a
lot of local 'design' firms who produce hideous stuff, and sell tabled websites. However, you can't please everyone!
b) definitely. But without it being scary and inaccessible to not so web-savvy people
c) I'd quite like to do this, but it's not a necessity, maybe something to add on a later date me thinks
d) waaaaaaaaay ahead of that game :)

I'm liking the nice bright background on your newer layout! It's nice and simple and the slider is great. :)

*drumroll* I've started the coding phase. I've cut down the links and I've left the blog out for now.

I think I'm going to put it on a sub domain and have it linked on the main site sometime after the new year. So I have time to backlog some content and make it part of the site but not actually on the portfolio.

Back