Primary research for dissertation

rachaelbethany

Hi there,

I am in my second year of a BA Graphic Design course, and i am currently preparing a presentation on my dissertation for next year.

I have been asked to include a comprehsive list of all intended primary research material to be analysed and discussed in my dissertation.
However i am unsure as to how i would go about this, my dissertation title is:

What contribution to graphic design and popular culture has the hippy subculture had, since the 1960's?

I think i know what primary research is, but i dont know what kind of research i could be doing.

Thank you for your time,

Rachael

Right primary research is going to be difficult on this for a bunch of reasons. One there were alot of drugs floating around and I know alot of my parents friends don't remember too much of that era, just ask Berry he was like 150 in the 60's!

The hippie thing stems around so many era's and time frames, you will probably have to pick on a specific time to get a better grounding for your research. It might be good to start with your lecturers, depending on how old they are?

As well there are a few things that can be seen as an effect on the hippies, from what they were about, including the reactions to them.

But there are an awful lot documentaries that exist, that should be really good, I will have a think and see if i can remember the names of them, cant off the top of my head.

I did punk graphic design for my BA, and the place I started was with records and the sleeves, as the music is what drives these movements and there will be names of artists on the inside of the sleeves. I know that sounds a little patronising, but it will give you alot of grounding with potential names.

mrp2049 said:
One there were alot of drugs floating around and I know alot of my parents friends don't remember too much of that era, just ask Berry he was like 150 in the 60's!.

Cheeky pup! i was still in short pants then!

Check out Greenwich Village and the art scene there. Warhol, Max Eastman, E.E. Cummings, Jackson Pollock, and the San Fransisco scene and Albert Hofmann's discovery of LSD. Aldous Huxley's influence, Rick Griffen, Matti Klaewien did numerous album covers , Hipgnosis was a huge infliuence in the this side of the water UK in th early 70's with Pink Floyd an Led Zep Tubular Bells. Yes, Osibisa artwork. Richard Branson and early Virgin.

Back