Pricing for Logo Design

What do you think is a fair price for logo design?

• £0?-£20

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • £30-£50

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • £50-£75

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • £75-£150

Votes: 40 16.8%
  • £150-£250

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • £250-£450

Votes: 48 20.2%
  • £450 +

Votes: 37 15.5%

• Total voters
I tend to charge by the hour now for any work, the problem with a fixed price structure is you end up giving a set number of revisions, then once those are used up the client just thinks 'that'll do' when it needs more work. Obviously charging by the hour can have a huge drawback as in the client will change each bit of the design and keep messing around with it, but at least they're showing more of an interest in the design process and wanting the very best for their business, and you're of course getting paid for doing this as well :icon_smile:.

I try to give them a rough estimate of how long I think it will take to complete the project, but say that it is just an estimate (and put it in the contract).

Anyone else charge on an hourly basis?

Hi everyone
I normally go for around £100 on average, I've been professional for about a year, but I'm still not over-confident that this is the right amount to charge!
For those of you that have responded above, I was wondering if the charges you've quoted include what I normally include – that is approx. £100 total including 3-4 initial concepts, then 2-3 tweaks of the chosen design.
Any feedback would be great, many thanks! Zoe

I charge by the hour. I feel its the only way that suits me. I think if you can show a client what you can do and show them why you DONT charge 25 pounds for a logo then the client will realise why they are paying more. It doesn't help when people are charging these rates.

Logo price

Curtis,

The value of a brand has been a discussion point for years and years and has the unfortunate future calculation of what would brand might be worth to that business in say 5 years time and beyond.

You should consider 1. the amount of time you spend conceptualising it 2. the value of your experience 3. the intended exposure of the logo.

I don't produce a logo for less than £500 and I have sold a logo for 39k!!!

The irony is I spend the same amount of time and effort on the £500 logo as I did for the 39k one.

You have to consider what your logo will achieve for your client. If its a local independent shop then its value could be smaller. If its a multinational with huge web and print exposure then your logo has a considerably higher value as it is expected to visually communicate on a vast scale.

Without inspecting your work I would say you are charging too little.

Best of luck.

Best Regards,

Jordan
--
Jordan Scott
Creative Director
Logo Laureate
Logo Laureate original brand and logo design

I'm scared by the amount of people who voted for £75-150.

I agree. The point is that designers are scared to overcharge but it is seriously damaging our profession and when you couple that with free pitching what chance do we stand?

I think clients half expect to pay a fair price for high end design work, but as long as people are charging low fees they are going to keep paying them. If designers are willing to accept the fees that they are offering to the clients and also working / pitching for free then maybe they do not believe they are qualified enough to accept more.

Thats an even more worrying prospect because we are being undercut by pseudo designers. It's a hard one but I don't really see what we can do about it, apart from governing body affiliation and regulations.

I agree. The point is that designers are scared to overcharge but it is seriously damaging our profession and when you couple that with free pitching what chance do we stand?

I think clients half expect to pay a fair price for high end design work, but as long as people are charging low fees they are going to keep paying them. If designers are willing to accept the fees that they are offering to the clients and also working / pitching for free then maybe they do not believe they are qualified enough to accept more.

Thats an even more worrying prospect because we are being undercut by pseudo designers. It's a hard one but I don't really see what we can do about it, apart from governing body affiliation and regulations.

You can't do anything about it. But hopefully the kind of clients you want can tell the difference between something with bevels nicked from the web and something with some thought and skill behind it.

I'm scared by the amount of people who voted for £75-150.

Perhaps the reason so many people have voted this is because the majority of the designers on this forum (and this is just pure speculation, i haven't actually looked into this) don't get work from massive clients. Perhaps most of the designers on this forum are just doing jobs for small local businesses, company's just starting up, friends, family and such like. From what i have seen, there are a lot of designers on here in their first year of business, just trying to build up their portfolio, perhaps they need to do the cheaper work just so they have some work to do.

Which brings me back to the point of pricing according to your client. Ask the same question but amended to say "how much would you charge coca cola for a logo" and I'm pretty sure nobody would say £75-£100.

Every business needs a logo, but not every business can afford £500 when they're just starting out - and i don't think they should have to settle for a crap quality logo because they can't. Yes you may not want to do these types of jobs, and that's fine, but there are people out there who do, if only for a short while to build up their portfolio.

I voted £150-£250 but then again a logo for a business is the most important part so £450+ will encourage the designer to produce an amazing design because the money will motivate him/her to inspire you. Hope that makes sense, cos I got lost typing that lol.

I voted £150-£250, but that's just down to production time, consultations etc. for a static logo, small firm.

As mentioned before, the value of the logo essentially depends on it's stature.

Always get a feel for what and who will use it - will lots of staff and external folks being using it? Could require brand guidelines. Large building / land / multiple offices? Could require signage etc. all this makes the pricing more relative.

I bet it's a sour feeling if you designed a logo for £75 then found out they just passed it to someone else to design the stationary, signage etc. to save costs on a 30k budget :icon_crying:

I totally understand where you guys are coming from regarding cheapening the industry. I dont call myself a graphic designer. I fiddle and Im learning and I want to start doing a few real jobs for family, friends...through facebook...whatever, just to get practice. I am not good enough to charge more than £150. But id they see my work and what I've done and feel confident in my I will charge them about £50 for a logo. I go by who is asking (once again Im not claiming to be a professional, its just a hobbie, pocket money) if its a bigger business, if they sound like its important to them to have a good logo then i'd charge more, but alot of small business that look for a cheaper option usually dont have a clue about design or apprieate it, therefore I charge less as they would be shocked by anything too high. 'Billy the mechanic, from a small town who's never had a logo' He will have no idea how important a logo is, he'd get a vista print business card and be really really happy with that. Not all people in business are visually awear and are often so niave! Not an arty bone or creative bone in their body!

I lost myself up there somewhere but you get my drift? I dont have real experience but I know people in general..the people that say 'What the hell is that meant to be' when looking at somethibng slightly abstract, they exisit in businesses...

what about business cards? I've just stumbled onto some freelance work for a guy who wants to supply business' just starting up with logo's business cards, websites etc... he wants to offer this as a budget service and wanted me to name my prices... i've got more of an idea now on how to price logo's.. but what about business cards?

what about business cards? I've just stumbled onto some freelance work for a guy who wants to supply business' just starting up with logo's business cards, websites etc... he wants to offer this as a budget service and wanted me to name my prices... i've got more of an idea now on how to price logo's.. but what about business cards?

Just work out how long you think it will take and multiply it by your hourly rate, plus extra for changes/problems. There's no point saying you'll design a business card for £50 if it takes you 2 days to finalise.

As Paul suggests, hourly rate or flat rate for a job should amount to the same thing if you're budgeting correctly. If you're working for experience/pocket money then you can of course charge as little as you like but if you're offering to work for buttons - even in those circumstances - you're creating a situation where it looks from the outset that you're not backing yourself to do a decent, professional standard job and/or pandering to the notion that design is a low value service (for which nobody here will thank you).

Our designs are currently at a set rate of £89.
Which includes vector EPS and PSD, along with unlimited amendments until they're happy with the final design.

Logo pricing is a bit like that proverbial piece of string. I have done logos for friends, family etc for very modest sums but I have also been paid thousands for a logo (only happened once though sadly). Then you have the constant battle of clients totally not grasping how much work actually goes into logo design, the type who go silent when you tell them the price, then laugh, ask if you're joking then tell you you're mad :icon_cursing:

I think around £200 is about right, but of course it completely depends on the brief we receive and I'd be quite happy to lower my price if I'm on the phone to somebody in the marketing division of their company with a really good idea of what they want and most of the research already done...

On the other hand, if its somebody clueless who's asking for a really vague, complicated sounding concept which they "just want to see" developed in like 8 different directions, then I'll be doubling that straight away!

To be honest, if you're a designer sitting in your office and 40% of your week you sit around waiting for work to come in... you can afford to lower your prices. If you're soooo busy you can afford to turn work away - that's a wonderful position to be in, so by all means charge £500+

There could be many factors to logo design and it's difficult to come straight out with a price. A one-man plasterer won't be willing to shell out £400 for a logo, so do you dismiss him or do you offer a basic logo service with the option of being able to do stationery design and adverts, etc., later on?

What about corporate identity? Surely the time and effort going into creating a brand manual is another factor. It's certainly another option to include and the aforementioned plasterer probably won't be bothered about this. He probably just wants a business card and some livery for his van.

I suppose it comes down to your own working practices. If you get enough work from offering £400+ for logo design, then great! If not, then there are other options.

Back