Pricing for charity

NeonThunder

So after helping a charity out at short notice, they've asked me what I'd charge them for designing 4 posters a year.
The nice thing is I've got creative freedom on them so could be nice for my portfolio as it'll allow me to do different things.

Just not sure what to charge them at the moment.

Hmmm?

It's a tricky one with charities as it's in our nature to work for cheap or even free but then you take a look at the people running and working for them.

Do they work for free?

May be the case with the smaller ones but not the bigger ones.

I agree with scotty, I charge the same as my normal work but minus about 10%. If they want you to do the posters, they'll come back to you. Interbrand did the Cancer Research rebrand a couple of years ago - I can't imagine they worked for free.

Double it. No triple it!

I read an article that the chuggers for Help The Aged ride around on solid gold Harley Davidson's converted to run on single malt whiskey.

Okay, I may have dreamt that but you get my point.

It would depend on how big the charity is. Most charities have a large budget (they let on they don't but most do) I worked in a printers and the amount of charities that came in near the end of year to spend there budget so it didnt get cut for next year was unreal.

scotty said:
Double it. No triple it!

I read an article that the chuggers for Help The Aged ride around on solid gold Harley Davidson's converted to run on single malt whiskey.

Okay, I may have dreamt that but you get my point.
haha!!

mick_mccabe said:
It would depend on how big the charity is. Most charities have a large budget (they let on they don't but most do) I worked in a printers and the amount of charities that came in near the end of year to spend there budget so it didnt get cut for next year was unreal.
Don't think there a massive charity. I'll have a ponder and might just pick a random number lol!

ONE........MILLION.......DOLLARS!

Dr-Evil.jpg

Depends on the charity for me personally...
Do you support what the charity does?
Are they a big business or a small time family run charity.. big difference here in my view, most large charities pay their main staff pretty high rates from what I've seen... unless you're in the shops then it's volunteers.

Need to check this but you could offer a discount as a 'charitable donation' as I'm pretty sure that's tax deductable.... but would need to check it to be sure.

Anything you discount them can be claimed in your accounts as a charitable donation. I do not know whether you are a sole trader or Limted company, but your accountant will be able to make an adjustment.

When I performed similar for a charity, I invoiced at full price, minus the discount, which I listed as Charitable donation Discount. I don't know much more about the accounting side, as that is the accountant's job, but she was very specific in ensuring I listed them quite overtly like this so there was opportunity for tax relief at some stage.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

"Give a man a poster and you promote him for a day. Teach a man to design his own posters and you've probably lost a potential client."
Though to be fair I actually did that once, with that precise outcome in mind.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. The only charity work I've done was for a friend who runs the charity, so I did that for free. But for people I don't know I wouldn't drop it any further than 50% max. Probably around 10%-20% off sounds right to me.

Back