Previous employment - how many jobs?

Dave1975

Hey guys,

Just curious to see how many design related jobs you guys have been through to get to the position you're in now?

I started off working for a small signage company, vectoring logos, creating simple text logos, and a bit of Photoshop work for the digital printer we had, from there went to study a new course, Graphic Media, at KIAD in Maidstone. Whilst at Uni I completed some freelance projects on a part-time basis for some extra income. Then as soon as I had completed that course I went into full-time employment as a graphic/web designer for a local agency for about 8 months. Then since February 2008 been freelancing full-time... and loving it! :up:

Interested to hear your route to your position now, whether thats through a big design company setup, or going it alone as a freelancer?

I done naff all! Started the company when I was 17 and worked hard to get my skills up to scratch, from then on in it was a case of trial and error. I would have liked to been in a corporate design environment for a bit, but I dont think I'd turn back the clocks to change it!

red tiger said:
I done naff all! Started the company when I was 17 and worked hard to get my skills up to scratch, from then on in it was a case of trial and error. I would have liked to been in a corporate design environment for a bit, but I dont think I'd turn back the clocks to change it!

Almost exactly the same here. I taught myself design to make extra money whilst my other company (Rebelo) was getting off the ground and to save money on the outlay for that.

However since then I've worked for/at a couple of design agencies and companies which has helped me fill the gaps.

I did the standard art and design foundation course (Portsmouth Uni), then a BA in visual information design at Ravensbourne. I started my studio straight out of college with my former house mate.

We got an extremely lucky break though. Friends of mine were in a band who I did a couple of sleeves for, my housemate started doing some live projections for their shows. It was just a bit of fun until we did a proper video and single sleeve for a record they released on their own. Then they singed for silly money to Sony BMG and all of a sudden we had a permanent client with bloody great budgets.

We founded the studio off the back of that one client, and very soon started doing other bits for the music industry. The band only lasted two albums though, so the studio outlived them by a couple of years.

25 years of bottom to the top - Foundation year, no Uni - then straight in Junior Finished Artist
( Cowgum/handlettering period) to Executive Creative Director. Now own my own agency.
Worked in 7 med/large Ad agencies ( I think) -1 one of them twice. ( Got fired twice!)

Well if we're sharing...

Did Foundation at Wimbledon School of Art (loved it!)>Product Design at Ravensbourne>Bit of lighting design>Bit of teaching>Retail:Visual Merchandising/Display/3D design/Seasonal graphics>Retail interiors/retail concepts/2D & 3D>Design Manager at Debenhams/managing team of designers/artworkers, managing 140 brands and their packaging>Set up Paul Cartwright Branding...16 odd years' worth - 4 real jobs.

Berry said:
25 years of bottom to the top - Foundation year, no Uni - then straight in Junior Finished Artist
( Cowgum/handlettering period) to Executive Creative Director. Now own my own agency.
Worked in 7 med/large Ad agencies ( I think) -1 one of them twice. ( Got fired twice!)

Hi Berry, sounds like there's a story there??? how do you get fired from the same job twice? lol

Back