Preparing a Portfolio

dedwardp

Hi everyone,

Recently I've needed a hard copy portfolio a little more than I have done in the past perhaps and was wondering what everyone felt the best way of preparing it would be?

I have a black, A3 folder with wallets and so on but what is the best way of preparing work as, for the majority, I don't yet have copies of the final, printed result? Would it be worthwhile getting some work printed up properly on A3 to place in there? Or am I just as well printing out an inkjet printer and sticking it onto A3 paper?

Thanks,

I print a lot of my own work but if you are going to do this make sure that you are able to print to a high standard because nothing looks worse than poorly presented work, "If you can't make the effort with your own work, what are you going to do with mine, etc".

Also, I like to present my work so the client can take it out, look through it, lay it all out side by side, basically see it how they want to see it. I wouldn't use a portfolio that I couldn't take the pages out of, it's too restrictive.

Portfolio

I always think that if possible, try and create a multimedia portfolio. For example, I have now seen many designers using modern technology and create mini flash movies of their portfolio. However, I don't think it will ever replace the good old hard copy.

I personally created an online portfolio which I direct people too.

Take a look:

www.zachsheppard.site50.net

Loose leaf, high quality printouts are fine.
As I've said before on here, you can print them out when they get grubby/dog eared and the client can pick them up and you can arrange them on the desk.
Regular 'art' folios are too regimented and they are heavy and expensive.
Get a nice A4 or A3 polypropylene envelope/folder from WH Smiths. I've got a dozen of them with different categories of work that I can tailor to client presentations etc.

Thanks for the replies - in terms of getting a high enough quality printout, do people think of it as perhaps being advisable to get pieces printed professionally, perhaps in digital format for a low cost, as opposed to using your run of the mill, inkjet printer?

Have you tried printing out one of your folio pieces on your inkjet onto some nice glossy paper? If not, then do so! :)
I have various HP inkjets and all of my work is output onto these and the quality is fantastic.
I've seen some terrible, lifeless 'professionally printed' work in my time and would encourage you to buy a good inkjet and some nice paper.

Personally i have an A3 portfolio box (something like this but deeper:Secol A3 Archival Portfolio Box with 25 Pockets (BFA3BKB) - Warehouse Express) and use separate archival quality sleeves (like this: Image Pockets (No Holes) | The Portfolio Store | Artist Portfolios and Portfolio Cases | Prat, Panodia, Mapac, Artcare and Technical Sales to protect my work which i print out professionally at A3 size. This way things can be passed around a table amongst people (no awkward flicking through ringbound pages) and the archival wallets feel beautiful as well as protecting my work from mucky fingerprints and sunlight.

Have you tried printing out one of your folio pieces on your inkjet onto some nice glossy paper? If not, then do so! :)
I have various HP inkjets and all of my work is output onto these and the quality is fantastic.
I've seen some terrible, lifeless 'professionally printed' work in my time and would encourage you to buy a good inkjet and some nice paper.

I can't say I've ever tried to do it on to glossy paper, though it could be worth a try, thanks :icon_smile:

I wasn't pushing the 'glossy paper' bit, merely asking if you'd actually tried printing out some of your work onto quality paper rather than jumping at getting it 'professionally' printed.

I wasn't pushing the 'glossy paper' bit, merely asking if you'd actually tried printing out some of your work onto quality paper rather than jumping at getting it 'professionally' printed.

Oh I know, but yeah that's what I mean - better quality paper than the usual run of the mill stuff that I would use. :icon_smile:

I use a post bound leather album with punched pockets and A3 archival matt inkjet prints. (Epson stylus Photo 1400) You can also punch and crease the prints and avoid the pockets altogether, but I quite like the glossy look of the pockets.

Back