Premier Pro Vs. After Effects for colour grading/correction?

Jri

I'm relatively new to After Effects, and having picked up the basics am now trying to use it in conjunction with Premier Pro to help compile my After Effects clips into one piece of video.

While working out After Effects, I have been using the various Adjustment Layers/Curves/Contrast tools to give my scenes a more cinematic grading - this seems fairly straight forward, but Premier Pro also seems to have the tools to grade too.

I have no experience in Premier Pro, and can't seem to find a consensus online regarding which stage of the video workflow is better practise to grade at (After Effects or Premier Pro)?

Lots of tutorials/suggestions online seem to favour one or the other?

As I've come to the video/motion graphics party fairly late, I'm still catching up on what programs are available. It seems to suggest here that what was Adobe's standalone grading tool has been dropped for Premier Pro's Lumetri system.

So many options!

I have never used Premiere Pro so I can't comment on it in relation to AfterEffects for colour grading correction. That being said, I don't understand why you would need to switch to Premiere Pro in order to compile your AE clips into one video? This can be achieved in AE. The most basic and the most complex 'things' can be done in AE. Yes, it is a motion graphics piece of software but I still use it for simple video editing when required, when I could probably use something like' iMovie'...

Lots of tutorials/suggestions online seem to favour one or the other?

This is probably because it's swings and roundabouts. People tend to favour whichever software they are most skilled and experienced in when it comes to comparisons of this nature. If both can achieve the same desired result, then choose the software you are most proficient with.

I was under the impression that Premier Pro was specifically built for editing, clipping and syncing music/audio (I know this can be done in After Effects too) after you've finished the effect compositing side of things, and figured that I've got it as part of CC so I might as well see what it'll do.

Both can grade, but I'm not sure what the pros/cons of going one way or another are?

Yeah I mean, if you have it there's no harm in giving it a go if you have the time to go through the whole learning process. I personally don't switch programs unless I need to, so if I am working in AE and I can do everything I need to in AE, and still produce the correct output file format, then it just doesn't make sense to me to switch to Prem Pro.

It's like if I was designing a 4-page leaflet in Adobe Illustrator, I wouldn't switch to Adobe InDesign due to the low number of pages, in my mind, there's just no need unless it's content heavy. 6 or 8+ pages on the other hand, I would absolutely switch to InDesign, as I would essentially be slowing down my efficiency by continuing in Illustration for that many pages.

Reactions: Jri
I've not used Premier Pro either as what I have done, I've managed to use Ae.

I do know that Ae is not so good for audio though but I've used it for that and not had any issue.

Reactions: Jri
Maybe I'm just being a gear nerd!

I'm pushing myself on AE as I get such a kick out of seeing motion graphics come off well, so want to get a good grounding in everything I'll need if my work goes in that direction as a whole. Nice to hear the feedback lads!

Nothing wrong with that and if you're wanting to go that way then it's best to adopt best practice from the start.

Funnily enough, I was thinking about the same question last night.

Nice to hear the feedback lads!

How do you know I'm a boy? ;)

Back