Pre-designed logos

johnsonkyle25

Hey, I have a pretty simple question, the other day I found a website offering pre-designed logos, it’s a bit cheaper and it seems I can keep the copyrights for it. Have you had any experience with this before?

What do you mean by pre-designed?

Do you mean a basic shape (template) that is then customised with for example the company name and company colours?

If so, they would be cheap because you will pretty much have the same logo as maybe 1000 other companies, would you want this for your business? Personally I would rather pay a fair price and have one bespoke that I know isn't a rip off of someone elses and used by many other businesses.

Take a read of this...

Logo Design > Logo Designers

Never go cheap with logo design. It's not to be advised. A logo is a key part of any business, and as such shouldn't be done on the cheap.

Having a nice product/service you're proud of and using one of those sites is like having an amazingly expensive motorbike and buying a cheap lock (meaning it'll just end up a waste, thats either a good or very shite comparison). Basically don't do it, 99 times out of a hundred the brand will always be stronger than the product/service it offers so I'd take your time over it.

Pre designed is NOT the way to go, how can a pre-designed logo/identity incorporate the companies unique selling points, personality, individuality if that companies logo can be seen elsewhere being used by other companies only with a different straplines/colour etc.

BUT I think johnsonkyle25 is talking about logos that are designed by designers with no 'real' brief given, they are just designing for themselves and then these are sold to companies/people who are interested in using it for their new company.

For example, I'm a designer, I have a day free (i wish) and decide to work on an imaginary logo design, I give myself the brief that the company name is "soundjam" and its for a music recording studio. I then go ahead and develop the logo until I'm happy. I then sell this logo design and name to a company or individual who is interested and are starting a new music studio and require a new brand.

To be honest I have thought about doing some of this type of work but I just don't get the time or I'm working on other aspects of my business..

On a slightly different subject.....

Here's interesting discussion on a business forum about cheap logo design:

Cheap Logo Design - How to Court Disaster - Business Forum - UK Business Labs

First of all, thank you very much for your input

I see your points, it’s not a good thing to go cheap on the logos, and the example about the bike is pretty funny, but I think dot design got me on what I was thinking. I think I couldn’t rule it out entirely because let’s face it, if you come up with a new business idea, it’s very probable that someone else has already done it, or at least very similar, and therefore the publicity for it could have been conceived by a designer, what if you just happen to find the one that fits for you? (I haven’t but there’s a pretty big database there).

And also, I’m starting the business right now, so I need to squeeze the most out of every bucket, not everyone has the chance to spend 1000 bucks just to start with the corporate image.

A big thing to watch out for with these kind of companies is whether you are buying exclusive use of the logo. A lot of companies who sell things like logos and website templates just sell them over and over again to different customers. Even if they say they are exclusive you won't know unless you stumble across another company with a suspiciously familiar logo.

A big thing to watch out for with these kind of companies is whether you are buying exclusive use of the logo. A lot of companies who sell things like logos and website templates just sell them over and over again to different customers. Even if they say they are exclusive you won't know unless you stumble across another company with a suspiciously familiar logo.

I see, well I found some guys who move the pre-designed logo to their portfolio of things done for customers when one of the pre-designed is sold, and removed from the for sale database, that’s a pretty good warranty that yours is yours right?

Unless they assign you copyright in writing then yours is actually theirs, at least that is how I understand the UK law to be.

Back