Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Naps, what's your cut-off?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Greg, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

Mike mentioning taking a nap at lunch reminded me of a discussion I had with a friend about power naps. I thought that anything beyond 1hour was a small sleep, 45 minutes being the ideal power nap time, he thought 1hr30 was a good power nap time :confused:

Your thoughts as ever appreciated on what is a very serious discussion.

2. I never get a chance for power naps.. i'm sure eventually I will :)

3. tim

tim Senior Member

me neither. power naps = sleeping for 48 hours.

4. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I'm down with power naps of varying shapes and sizes. I like everything from 15 minutes to a good hour.

I always found that my favourite nap length was just over an hour, sit down when friends starts, 5 or 6 and sleep through both episodes waking up in time for simpsons, cook dinner, ready to go out for 7 or 8!

5. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I'm down with double nights sleeping too! stay awake for the better part of 2 days, then go to sleep around 7pm, sleep till 1am, get up clean up have a snack, then back to bed till the morning!

6. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

My sleep pattern is a mess!

7. Greg

Greg Active Member

I mastered the power naps back when I worked at Tesco in the electrical department! Me and a few mates created a wall of irons, kettles, toasters and blenders on the warehouse shelving, conveniently the electrical shelves backed on to the homeware stuff, so a few pillows pulled across and you had an excellent hidden power nap location! Take it in turns each week, who had the worst hangover on the Sunday morning!

8. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

Similar story, when I worked in the Disney store, we had a coffin box, 2mx3.5m that had all the massive plush in it. There was usually someone asleep in the box with the seven dwarfs!

9. tim

tim Senior Member

well if im knackered enough i wont even wake up, i'll just go.

well, i'd do that when i had important events coming, but now i work, nupe.

10. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

Part of the reason I have to do this double sleep thing is because of work! Working a **** job and trying to do as much design work as possible has kinda created this messy pattern! and being in a band, that don't help one bit at all!

11. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

I sleep through anything, had builders removing, fitting, drilling and (electric) planing a door to my bedroom while I slept last week ;)

I think power naps are optimum at either 30 mins or 2 hours (its still a nap)

My sleep pattern varies from very messed up to extremely screwed. Right now it will be extremely screwed

6-finish at work tonight (just got in)
    12 - finish at work tomorrow ( on my own finish so will not get out til 2?!)
    11 - 7 saturday

wont get an 8 hour sleep til saturday night :(

I need my 8 hour sleeps! (plasterers arriving at 8am tomorrow)

12. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

thats nothing boyo! however you should be very happy you only have a short one on saturday!

13. Krey20

Krey20 Senior Member

My brother is the undisputed king of the power nap! He's a head chef in a hotel kitchen and through his training, with the pressures and long hours that high end kitchens demand he has trained himself to the craziest sleeping pattern I've ever heard of. Bearing in mind working up to 16 hours a day isn't uncommon, he sleeps on average 4-5 hours a night if he's lucky. But like I said his napping abilities are the amazing thing.

I've seen him really, really tired, and you just know that all he needs is a good sleep, you see his head start to nod and he's off. He'll sleep anywhere too, when he needs to. I don't think I've ever driven him anywhere without him having a nap!
    He'll be asleep for about 5-10 minutes and wake up as refreshed as though he's had about 8-9 hours. It's one of the freakiest things I've ever seen.

14. br3n

br3n Senior Member

They make me feel worse :(

15. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

I envy people who are able to nap. I've never had a nap in my life. I'm just not able to fall asleep during the day. Not really much of a sleeper in general, just need about 6-7 hours a night then I'm fine.

16. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

one of my friends was trained to do this as part of his GP training. he is exactly the same! gets in a car, shifts himself into a comfortable position, puts his head back and he out!

17. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Omg you guys seriously are waaaay to old... :p

This is usually when I take my power nap. It usually lasts about 50 minutes unless the teacher interrupts me
    [​IMG]

18. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

the "short" shift wasnt appreciated. The U2 concert opposite didnt help ;) had constant food orders from 9:30am til 5pm (more than one staff at all times couldnt clear the screen at all) haha

19. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

I have never been able to power nap dunno y

20. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

and you ran out of stuff and had someone coming over to us to get things!!!