Poster in response to the word "social".

berry said:
well 2faces, it's actually 33 years continueous service, from junior to md. About 20/25 'ish roses awards, 2 da&ad silver awards, 1 new york festival award, lost count of the number of cream awards and 'regional awards'. - oh yes, judging panel of roses, cream half a dozen times and an ex chairman of the creative circle.

Oh, and here's me getting the only ever cream platinum award by chairman of the judges trevor beattie. ( if you don't know who he is, google him)...when you rack up that many in your career, let me know and we'll have a beer.....xxxxxx

dvofvl.jpg

pwnd.

A lot of opinions have been voiced on your request and for the majority, ignored.

So why would I respond other than the fact that was hilarious?

The comments were not ignored, they were debated.

A little advice for you maybe, as a designer your integrity is key and you are only as good as your last project (no matter how many awards you rack up). So be aware of the messages you leave around because people will not take your next comment seriously...

And as I have said before, just because the debate got a little hot (and a little side tracked) doesnt mean that all suggestions were ignored.

The best crits are those when the person presenting leaves full of confidence that they can do better, improve etc . . . not trying to destroy a designers self belief for a little gain for your self (knowing you are right) . . .

Anyway, im sure you know all this already. Take care.

Vanya

Vanya, I've never a met a young designer like yourself with such a concieted overblown self created attitude over what how designer should communicate. It's fairly obvious that you know everything and don't need input or advice from anyone on here. So why are you here? Your work got a drubbing because it was pretentious. If it's shit, it's shit, deal with it and move on or don't post work asking for crit. You obviously can't take crit, or think that you know how to deliver crit in a way that is better than more experienced people, or perhaps you've read that in one of your books. Your standard and quality of your work doesn't back up your mouth. And I don't think any DF member on here needs to be aware incase people don't take our comments seriously. Either Put up or Shut up, you annoy me.

Berry, unfortunately I have met alot of people like yourself and you dont annoy me. . and as much as you think of my lack of respect, I have tons for what you have achived. . . But I had more respect for it before you started to talk about yourself.

If you read over the topic, then yes I do debate alot. But only because I want a clear direction of what people think and I think I have. So if you look at the progression of the agrument (set aside all the childish comments made by my self) you will see me more inclined to agree with the majority.

I dont know anything about anything, and will naver claim to. But experiece dont count for nothing if you use it in the wrong way. Like always talking about what I have done and how I do this and that . . . . again for young designers (like myself) that is totally useless........ Not sure why this has turned into a pissing contest.

(and seriously saying things like I went to Junior to Managing Director is not really encouraging, just feels like your giving your self a pat on the back.)

But congratulations anyway . . .

I am on here to meet designers that give structured feedback and give you a reason to try harder, research more . . . and at first this forum had good feedback.

As a designer I do have a very stong point of view on how design should be practiced, that includes feedback and so on . . . not just the end product.

But I am a very confused (rightly put) young designer, I have a lot of feeling and passion about any creative work. And believe me I am my own worst critic.

But dude, I think all in all this has been a great debate about things. Here people expressed their ideas, philosophies and worries. . . . over one poster that is indeed inappropriate.

No one here is right or wrong people, enjoy the debate and argue you point. It actually feels better when you are proven wrong. Feels like you have learned something. (like how the poster is far too abstract for a design poster).

Anyway, seriously I think this thread needs to close, getting far to personal for no reason..............

13faces - Berry is one of if not the most established designers on this forum. He knows what he's on about so you should take notice of him, even if you don't necessarily agree.

I'm sure Berry has also had days where everyone who has critiqued his work (clients etc) has said that what he has produced is rubbish, its part of the job and if you can't take it then this is not the field of work for you to be going into.

Learn from this, most of the designers on this forum think this piece of work is wrong for the brief that was proposed, get over it and produce something better.

As to the ideas being debated not ignored, its all very well debating something if it leads to something better but at the present moment all you have done is ignored any of the comments which go against YOUR view that its a good piece of work, you have not taken the comments on board and created a superior piece of work.

Levi said:
13faces - Berry is one of if not the most established designers on this forum. He knows what he's on about so you should take notice of him, even if you don't necessarily agree.

I'm sure Berry has also had days where everyone who has critiqued his work (clients etc) has said that what he has produced is rubbish, its part of the job and if you can't take it then this is not the field of work for you to be going into.

Learn from this, most of the designers on this forum think this piece of work is wrong for the brief that was proposed, get over it and produce something better.

As to the ideas being debated not ignored, its all very well debating something if it leads to something better but at the present moment all you have done is ignored any of the comments which go against YOUR view that its a good piece of work, you have not taken the comments on board and created a superior piece of work.
Why do people think I am ignoring them???

I have not done another design becasue I am too busy, so maybe in the near future.

I think that this thread might have gone a bit too far :eek: can't we all just get along? :)

chrismitchell said:
I think that this thread might have gone a bit too far :eek: can't we all just get along? :)

Because the DUDE know nothing, has achieved nothing but thinks he or she knows everything, met everyone and still likes to prod. All the hallmarks of anotherof those countless DUDES that will achieve a big fat zero.

My appologies if I hit any nerves (and I mean that) did not mean to offend anyone.

But be carefull MD, your showing your true colours and you're really getting personal now. You dont even know what sex I am and you think I will achive nothing . . . very professional behaviour.

I am achieving a great deal, I just dont like to boast and am only here for opinions about design related things. I am not here to insult anyone, or judge, or talk about my self. So would appreciate the same from someone that, and i quote . ."most established memeber of the forum".

For me Berry that post was low. Even for you (hehe joke . . .).

So if you read this, maybe you have give up on it . . . but to change the subject.
I wondered what you got the D&AD pencils for?

And remember that I am young, nieve and rebellious so please dont take things so seriously. :)

1. Don't flatter yourself if yourself, you haven't hit a nerve.
2. I don't have to be carefull of anything, Ionly fly one colour, and everyone in and outside this forum knows me for that colour. If you don't like it try facebook.
3. If you are achieving a great deal it isn't apparent in your work
4. Every post you make you insult people.
5. Young, nieve and rebellious sums you up your approach.
6. I do take things seriously, design is has been my life, so I don't like wannabe's who think they know better playing at being designers telling me what to do and what's is best.

Berry said:
1. Don't flatter yourself if yourself, you haven't hit a nerve.
2. I don't have to be carefull of anything, Ionly fly one colour, and everyone in and outside this forum knows me for that colour. If you don't like it try facebook.
3. If you are achieving a great deal it isn't apparent in your work
4. Every post you make you insult people.
5. Young, nieve and rebellious sums you up your approach.
6. I do take things seriously, design is has been my life, so I don't like wannabe's who think they know better playing at being designers telling me what to do and what's is best.
2. Wait im going to add you as a friend.
3. You havent seen my work to make that judgement
4. I have insulted you, I know and have already apologized enough... that was very poor on my half.
5. I know, thats why i said it. But thanks for repeating.
6. Just because of your awards and experience and what not, doesnt mean that another designer can't have any other opinions even if you are in the end correct. But again, big respect for getting the awards. Specially when your based in the North East.

And I am sounding like an echo, if you really need to hear it. Your advice was very sound even if it took a while to get it out of you.

We are from two different plannets I think, so lets drop this whole thing as it is useless. I am deffenatly not getting anything from being told that I will achive nothing etc. And if you really think that then why bother replying at all?

You may have the last word if you wish, Managing Directors like that dont they?
(another insult I will regret but after what you have said just couldnt resist)

Don't Worry, Be Happy and Recycle.

I actually kind of respect you for not running away or blindly appologising or signing up under a new name. I do think your the kind of person who will technically know a lot but wont actually be able to pull it off.

You cant teach design, you cant read design and you certainly cant preach design. Respect for fighting a loosing battle but I think the poster is BS. show us some more work and you might redeem yourself.

Just because of your awards and experience and what not, doesnt mean that another designer can't have any other opinions even if you are in the end correct. But again, big respect for getting the awards. Specially when your based in the North East.
So true ^ I hate the "ive done this, I did this" gang but berry is still in the game and still working wonders. I'd love, absolutlely love to hate his opinion (thats who I am) but sadly I cant.

Question Everything - Those who follow blindly wont get anywhere.

br3n said:
So true ^ I hate the "ive done this, I did this" gang but berry is still in the game and still working wonders. I'd love, absolutlely love to hate his opinion (thats who I am) but sadly I cant.

I'd say Berry's bank balance supports his views pretty well enough these days :)

I've always said If you want my job or my head - come and take it.
Prove me wrong and you'll earn my respect.
I throw down the challenge but very few step up to the plate.
Don't talk, do it.
I have another 10 years in this business before the arthritis and alzhemeirs set in, then all I've done will be worthless and meaningless. New Kings have to be groomed and prepared. Unfortunetly their often off somewhere fighting
If you want it you have to take it. Nobody will give you it.

Shy Bairns get no chocolate........

It wont be worthless dude . . . check out Wim Crouwel, 80 odd and still going strong.

Actually I recommend to catch one of his talks while he is still live and kicking. Pure Gid King!

Great, someone who's nearly as old as me!

So are you Wim?

I never said YOU were worthless I said "I have another 10 years in this business before the arthritis and alzhemeirs set in, then all I've done will be worthless and meaningless.

Back