Poster in response to the word "social".

13faces

READ FIRST BEFORE LOOKING AT THE POSTERS.

Hello again,

So I am going to enter a competition that has been running for a year and every month they release a word for people to respond to. This one is Social.

Looking for some feedback on how it looks visually and you guys like the idea.

My response:

The word social means a huge amount of things. But for me it is says relationships you have with people, be it girlfriend, best friend, colleague etc. . .

With some research I started to looking at Philosophers that commented on Social behavior, one of which was a French guy named Jean Paul Sarte.

His philosophy was that to achieve self consciousness you have to prove (display) to the Other (people). So their is no you without other people.

He invisioned this philosophy in a play called No Exit. Where the he explains his theory in a form of a love triangle and how people are connected to the other people around them. How people can make you happy and sad.

Capitulating the whole idea in a famous quote:

L'enfer, c'est les autres, meaning Hell is other people.

So that if people are the hell, so is heaven . . .

In my poster I have used geometry to illustrate the idea. With one triangle turning into another. Developing a relationship the two as it passes though every version of a triangle (every form of relationship).

So going from a right angle, to an obtuse, to an scalene, to an isosceles, to an acute and then finishing on an equilateral.

The colour represent warm and cold relationships. (obviously)

Anyway, sorry about the rant.

Also should it be in english or french??? I will hopefully get this screen printed as some limited versions . . . .

Cheers Vanya, Awaiting your crits.

Attachments

• Hell is other people.jpg
    Hell is other people.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 29
  • Hell is other people2.jpg
    Hell is other people2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 34
I see where the quote comes from, but I really fail to see how the shapes, no matter how nice they may be, relate to all of this.

Onartis said:
I see where the quote comes from, but I really fail to see how the shapes, no matter how nice they may be, relate to all of this.
This will sound so cheesy, but might explain this a little better.

The play is all about the "love triangle" . . . . sorry Jean Paul! Hence the reference to geometry and how many different types of triangles there is . . .

Other shapes come singularly . . . one square, one circle . . .

So this highlighting the divercity you get in a relationship.

Onartis said:

Totally agree with this guy to be honest...

13faces said:
READ FIRST BEFORE LOOKING AT THE POSTERS.
L'enfer, c'est les autres, meaning Hell is other people.

So that if people are the hell, so is heaven . . .

So if people are hell, which is punishment for the sins of your life working with christian values then wouldn't heaven be the absence of people as heaven is meant to be perfect happiness. How exactly do you see that as (being) social as in any religion that believes in heaven and hell everyone wants to go to heaven, by your interpretation anyone who is (or wants to be) social wants to go to hell :confused:

In my opinion you have misinterpreted the quote in relation to the term social.

As to the shapes, even if I ignore the (in my opinion) misinterpretation I can see no relevance to them

I think it's all a load of pretentious bullshit. Your clinging to precocious links to hide a slim idea.

If you have to explain it then it fails.

Is this meant to be hung in the Louvre and a thesis wrote about it?

Way over everyones head........Sorry

I agree with berry, show someone the poster, they assume you are talking about the guy whos quote it is. With a random set of geometry. Change it to french and even this gets lost.

You've done a good job going into things, but it should be obvious while amazing.

Howdy,

After a weekend of thinking I think I over thought the idea a little . . . Although I still like the link from Social to philosophy but I need to narrow it down a little and I still like the use of geometry/mathematics to explain the concept some how.

The quote and the concept means different things to different people. So I have to stay way from the cliche and it does need to be abstract (to a degree) to capture that essence and complexity of the quote and philosophy.

Its a though one as I really do like the idea and the quote says so many things. I guess this will be more of an art poster that will need an explanation of some kind by its side.

Possibly English would be more universal as well.

Cheers for the feedback guys, although Barry you could of been a little more constructive in your criticism. I kind of expected better from someone with as much experience. We are all here for the same reason, to learn. . . . just keep it mind for who ever you crit next. :)

(no hard feelings of course)

Will keep you guys updated on the redraw and will be awaiting your feedback once more!!

(again thanks)

you've got to remember that Berry (not Barry) hates everything with equal measure :) so it was just your turn to have his trebuchet of hate directed at you :lol:

Actually I like the bluntness of Berry, theres no point in beating around the bush in design in my opinion - I even tell my clients that I would rather have them say its rubbish earlier on than be polite and then change their mind at the end, meaning we have both wasted our time.

13faces - you have to remember this is a POSTER, how long do you spend looking at a poster, what maybe 5-10 seconds, you need to make an impact in that time and yours doesn't as most people don't want to think about a poster

Being blunt is fine. Just be constructive at the same time.

Also, there are different kinds of poster . . . not just the selling kind you are talking about "get in 5 - 10 sec". Nothing wrong with a poster that would be more of an "artistic expression" that you capture visually but would need revieling to find out the thought behind it/concept.

(still agree that mine is far to vague and abstract)

and remember kids, there is no right and wrong. Only appropriate and inappropriate. :)

Berry said:
I think it's all a load of pretentious bullshit. Your clinging to precocious links to hide a slim idea.

If you have to explain it then it fails.

Is this meant to be hung in the Louvre and a thesis wrote about it?

Way over everyones head........Sorry
That's constructive in my eyes and its not often that a poster design is created to make you think, a poster is a marketing tool or bedroom decoration.

I mean no offense Levi and I respect your comment but that is really narrow minded.

Just like anything else, a poster can be used in anyway a designer feels like.

This poster, whatever it will be in the end will not sell anything or have a direct point of view. Its will be designed (better lol) to make people think and make a decision on how they feel about the subject matter both conceptually and visually. Like a visual essay . . . of sort.

Cheers.

My view isn't narrow minded its from the definition of poster plus my own experiences.

By definition a poster is used in a set way, if it is taken outside of those defined areas it is technically no longer a poster and becomes an art piece.

A visual essay is not a poster is it, think about it from a viewers perspective how many people have heard of sartre and know what he has done, I doubt most of the people I know what he does, hell I've only heard of his name mentioned once or twice and my mum covered sociology and psychology on her courses.

13faces said:
Cheers for the feedback guys, although Barry you could of been a little more constructive in your criticism. I kind of expected better from someone with as much experience. We are all here for the same reason, to learn. . . . just keep it mind for who ever you crit next. :) (no hard feelings of course)

If you expected better from someone of my experience, then you've learnt a valuable lesson with this exercise, and that's, if you want your ego massaged then hang out in facebook or ask your friends to crit your work, you'll most probably get the response you want. If you want and honest and direct crit of experienced members who have seen all this a million times before, then don't put your work up for crit.
I won't and never will be nice for the sake of being nice. That is not constructive. Sometimes you have to destroy to rebuild. As a CD for over 20 years it was my job and role to improve the creative product and the develop the creatives ( all but two who I trained have or reached Creative Directorship either with me or somewhere else, that's over 18 who have made it . That proves my blunt direct approach works, so I ain't changing tact now.The mark of a champion is not how hard he hits, but how he responds when he gets hit hard.
This isn't a business for Nice people. It's a business for clever adaptable people.

Berry said:
This isn't a business for Nice people. It's a business for clever adaptable people.

can we be all of the above please Bear-ry? I like the idea of being nice, clever and adaptable.

Back