Possible first paying client

TomStutt

Hi, I had some small leaflets printed and posted them through the doors of some small business' and I had a phone call today from an Indian restaurant who received one of my flyers. They want a leaflet and new menu designed. As this could be my first paying customer do you think it would be better to give them a fixed price or charge them by the hour? Also, should i take a deposit from them if they want to use me?

Cheers, Tom

I would always take a deposit Tom .. but i'm sure that other people will have varying opinions on this :)

well depends on the size of the job.. if its going to take you 10 hours.. I would get 20% at least as a deposit then work from that :)

Are you printing the stuff? If you are get at least 50% upfront to cover your outlay as Printers will want paying on completion. Also if there is a mistake or typo the client may withhold payment.
Restaurants are unpredictable businesses and notorious bad payers in general. Provide a fixed cost and give them a quote in writing ( pm me with an email address and i'll send you a sample). Then get a written purchase order which is written confirmation of their acceptance and go-ahead of the job. If any of that frightens them off then your better off not dealing with them as you could be left holding the can.

I always ask for 50% up front before I start any work on any sort of commercial project (unless I do paid work for a friend that I trust 100%), but that's me. Whatever works for you.

You should also get a contract sorted before starting anything.

Cheers,
Soren

I stand corrected.. Its been a while since I did freelance work :p

cheers everyone great advice.

@Aarlev - do you mean a contact saying what i will and wont do etc and get them to sign it.

cheers

you wouldn't believe the phone call I had about it! It was sooooo random, he wanted me to do it as I was recommended to him by a mutal friend, but he was desperately trying not to say anything at the same time, get me interested!

As others have said go for a 50% deposit Tom, and I would personally agree a fixed rate for this type of project. As Berry said get a purchase order, before giving the go ahead to the printers if you are arranging that, as you don't want to be left in a dispute at a later stage, cover yourself from the outset.

Good luck!

cheers greg,

another question.... what is your process for dealing with clients?

1. have a consulatation with them.
2. give them a quote.
3. agree what they want and get a purchase order from them.
4. get a deposit from them.
5. do the work and get ir printed (if you are aranging that)
6. send them the final invoice and get paid.

is this the type of process you guys and gals would go through?

thanks

it cost me to £5 for 100odd small leaflets (8 up on an A4 page) in full colour. i handed out about 10 last night and the indian restaurant phoned me today.

yeah its pretty good. it was on 300gsm silk aswell.

i work at a uni and i used the printers we have here. they take private jobs as well as uni work.

if you have a uni near and they have a printers you should check out their prices.

Back