Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Website Design Forum:' started by Chris Lord, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

I'm in need of a simple html or wordpress template that I can use as a temporary online portfolio. I will be designing my own soon but in the next couple of days I need a site to host my work - any suggestions?! I don't know how to code it myself which is why I'm temporarily opting for a template...

Thanks in advance
  2. Minimalist

Minimalist Member

Google »smashing magazine wordpress template«, they always do nice roundups :)
  3. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

Thanks for the link, I've seen them before. Is there any special requirements for uploading/ installing a wordpress theme?

(excuse my ignorance!!)
  4. Minimalist

Minimalist Member

Well ... I’m no expert and no web developer ... Just looked into it at one point but decided to go with building a site myself ... You have to install Wordpress. For that your server must be equipped with SQL and PHP – mine is cheap so I went the DIY-route ;) Most templates can be installed via the Wordpress GUI ... You’ll figure it out, it’s actually quite simple :)
  5. richimgd

richimgd Member

Log into your wordpress site and go to Appearence / Themes. You can browse for a theme from that section, or search for a theme if you already know one by the name.

If you are managing your wordpress files yourself on your server, you can download a theme and move the theme folder into wp-content/themes/ then upload them to the server in this folder. Then when you login to your website and browse to Appearence / Themes you should notice the new theme is there. You can activate it.
  6. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys. I have a theme and may give it a shot later but it's still a little over my head at the moment. Hopefully all will become clear when give it a go!
  7. Minimalist

Minimalist Member

It will. Think of Wordpress as MS Word. You decide the lloks (install a theme) an type a few pages – that is more or less it :)
  8. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

I think I will opt for a PDF portfolio this time around but I will get around to implementing a Wordpress site, so your advice hasn't been in vain!