Portfolio/Website Review: GregFindley.com

Dave1975

Hi guys,

To get the ball rolling with the portfolio/website reviews forum I thought it was time to put my site up for a review, the site is a bit out of date now as I'm hoping to overhaul the whole thing in the next few months, but I would appreciate any comments and feedback good or bad, as I'm sure it will prove useful for when I start designing my new site :up:

GregFindley.com

Thanks,
Greg

Brave man.

I actually think that the work you do for your clients out classes your own site a million miles.

This is a compliment as fellow designers tend to ignore the surroundings and go straight to the portfolio page. It is also a common trend that great designers are good at promoting clients but when it comes to self promotion - designer block really hits home.

Calibre Designs said:
Brave man.

I actually think that the work you do for your clients out classes your own site a million miles.

This is a compliment as fellow designers tend to ignore the surroundings and go straight to the portfolio page. It is also a common trend that great designers are good at promoting clients but when it comes to self promotion - designer block really hits home.

Thanks Kay, felt obliged to throw my site in to the lions den so to speak! and yes looking at it now I'm not pleased with it, and I think that shows in how little it is updated. As soon as I get the time it's on my list for a complete re-design from top to bottom.

I think designers block does hit home on your own site even though in theory you should be your own ideal client! It ends up being the opposite! Hopefully with the help of DF I'll be able to get some honest feedback on future designs and put something together that I'm really pleased with, and proud of.

chrisworks said:
I so agree with you Calibre....I am lost when it comes to marketing myself... I mean... .look at my website. http://www.designworks-online.com. It's been like that for a loooong time now.

Hi Chris,
I like the look of your logo, I would say it might be worth starting a new thread for your site but it doesn't look like there's much to review besides the logo... yet ;)

...and glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggles with this!

Cheers,
Greg

Finding time to develop the new site is hard.

Don't make the same mistake as us. We went through far too many design revisions. Decisions were made too quickly and coded 2-3 versions of the site but still didn't work for us which meant revamp after revamp. Took 6 months! :cry:

Take your time over it. Everytime you think its right, walk away from it for a few days and then return to see if you still think that way about it.

Think about your target market.
Think about your message.
Think about attention grabbing headlines/compelling copy.
Think about your USP.

Kay

Calibre Designs said:
Take your time over it. Everytime you think its right, walk away from it for a few days and then return to see if you still think that way about it.

Think about your target market.
Think about your message.
Think about attention grabbing headlines/compelling copy.
Think about your USP.

Thanks for the tips Kay, appreciate it.
I've seen a few fellow designers go through a similar process I guess it gets to that stage where you just want to see a design live and running so you'll start coding, but in the long run as you say it's not beneficial.

Think I'm going to start putting some rough sketches down in the next few days as really up for the challenge at the moment :( (we don't have a 'rocky' smiley so went with the closest I could find!)

Cheers,
Greg

Back