Portfolio (the rethink!)

Wee Jimmy

Ok rather than bump up the other thread I felt I should make a new one. So shoot me, after feedback from you fine peoples I have simplified my portfolio. Given it a bit of re-imagining and a bit of KISS :up:

Jim Maitland ~ Web & Print Design Portfolio

100% W3C Valid, smooth, lite and I'm just a little bit in love with it so be gentle ;)

Things left to do:
Possibly alter shadowbox to include alt tag information on full view
Give the contact form some love

Big improvement on showing the individual pieces. I like the titles show in the bar at the top, nice touch.

Only concern is that your name and strap line are kerned a little tight, otherwise. Looks nice. Clean, simple, easy to find everything :up:

p.s. just seen the footer, silhouette is neat too

The kern on your logo is way too tight.
The shadowbox is really nice. The dragging feature on the web and print work is useful. It does miss a next and previous button, maybe it's a feature you need to toggle in the script somewhere. It's kind of a hassle to open and close every single thing.

The contact form looks ok, but I would make your message box wider, and then make the submit button smaller and move that down and to either the left or right. Also, the background of your silhouette image doesn't match up with the footer background color.

But generally I like it; definitely better than the previous one.

I like it, the scrolling anchor points is a nice idea, I have something similar. It's very clean with good use of colours.

If I could suggest one thing to change it would be the contact form in the footer. It isn't aligned well and has a huge send button. I just think it needs tweaking.

Overall though it's very nice! ;)

Oops Onartis already covered the contact form haha, I agree with his other points too though. It's still a nice site though :)

Aye as I put in the first post, the contact form is yet to be given some love, I'm not happy with it :up:

It does miss a next and previous button, maybe it's a feature you need to toggle in the script somewhere. It's kind of a hassle to open and close every single thing.

Fair point, well made. Now added. Just got to close for moving to each category :)

I'm going to look at expanding shadowbox for my own devious ends though so that might change :)

Aye as I put in the first post, the contact form is yet to be given some love, I'm not happy with it :up:

I have noticed that many designers lose interest or the lack of sleep gets to them when they reach the page footer... I am also guilty of this :)

Its the only part of a site I never sketch out lol :p i just sort of slap it together >.<. I may just make an email graphic and a twitter graphic

Magma said:
I have noticed that many designers lose interest or the lack of sleep gets to them when they reach the page footer... I am also guilty of this :)

I usually suffer from that, the last site I did, I started with the footer and worked my way up. Not an ideal solution, but seemed to work out in the end lol

HarlequinStudio said:
get a facebook group they really help i have found. i get one or two jobs a month through mine

I'd rather avoid that avenue to be honest until an army of people persuade me otherwise :p

logo.png

That makes the eyes hurty. Loosen it up a little, methinks.

just a lil 2 cents of mine here though i know nothing about web page design, but i think over all is ok as a reader myself here and i agree with losing it a bit of the tight kerning in your logo mentioned earlier by folks.

Another thing i would like to point out is the copy writing. The information is not enough i think. Readers would be lack of knowledge regarding the work you've done and the realness might be a doubt since there's no proven proper record were found in the page.

Maybe you would like to refer to Graham's or some other's webpages for a look and see how informative it is needed to be available so that you may increase the reliability and possibly add a blog into it maybe?

btw, do you have an offline address instead of email only?

Cheers!

I don't think an offline address is necessary.

One could argue it may make you seem more professional (and it's something we require from advertisers at work). But I never give mine out unless it's to someone I'm working with or when I'm invoicing.

I just have my phone numbers and email.

I usually suffer from that, the last site I did, I started with the footer and worked my way up. Not an ideal solution, but seemed to work out in the end lol

I did something similar on my portfolio, the navigation first, then the footer... probably why the rest of my portfolio looks terrible. It definately needs reworking... especially the disgusting logo :'(

Magma said:
... especially the disgusting logo :'(

lol Magma

i don't know about the rest but for me, i think it is really hard to design a personal logo that's 'perfect' - sometimes not even close. ;)

Back