Portfolio size A3 or A4?

gibbonell

I'm about to buy a new portfolio in preparation for some interviews. I'm wondering whether to buy A4 or A3.

My thoughts are that A3 can look studenty, costs so much to get the pages printed, but you can present larger images.

A4, is this too small to show off my work? would be more cost effective as I can print on my home printer and choose my own paper.

If anyone can tell me what they use and what they think is more professional it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Me myself I would get an A3 folder and print your stuff off on A4 glossy, I have a A2 folder and its for to big to carry around so i got and A3 folder and its just perfect. It doesn't get to heavy and its not to small or to big. Whereas i would think an A4 would maybe a little to small....maybe..

Also think about the volume of material you may seek to present. Don't overwhelm your audience.
A3 is visually impressive and communicates boldness, but not if you are presenting the entire portfolio or sections thereof.

Make it exciting.

I have been on the receiving end many times and have seen great and awful.

Good luck.

Peter
Bristol Printing Minuteman Press

Me myself I would get an A3 folder and print your stuff off on A4 glossy, I have a A2 folder and its for to big to carry around so i got and A3 folder and its just perfect. It doesn't get to heavy and its not to small or to big. Whereas i would think an A4 would maybe a little to small....maybe..

Don't always print on the same paper. It's good to use paper which the project is designed for, or better yet have a finished product sample - or a layout of photographs of the finished products (if it's a project, but the photography has to be excellent and well composed). I agree that A4 is too small really. Hope this helps you.

Hi gibbonell

It depends on your content and how you want to present it. My print portfolio is A2 with thick removable plastic wallets inside. It's a pain to carry but I don't have to use it much (being 6ft 2 helps though :icon_biggrin:). With a large portfolio I can present an entire brand or set of stationery on one page while still giving the work it's own breathing space. I do have 4 or 5 A2 POS posters in there and some cutters though so A3 would have been too small for me.

I'll post a couple of pictures when I get back home tonight to give you an idea. I'd say to stay away from A4 though as a main portfolio, I agree with Sarah that it'll be a little small. It never hurts to have something you can throw in a bag or pick up and walk out of the house with so I'd pick up an A4 at some point.

Make sure that you get a portfolio that gives easy access to your work inside so you can take things out and give them to your client/potential employer for them to have a closer look at. Artgem's spot on abut using different stock, make sure your work's tactile.

Have personally got two versions, one @ A4 and one @ A3. Both have the same contents, it just depends whether i'm traveling by 2 or 4 wheels to which one i use.

Don't always print on the same paper. It's good to use paper which the project is designed for, or better yet have a finished product sample - or a layout of photographs of the finished products (if it's a project, but the photography has to be excellent and well composed). I agree that A4 is too small really. Hope this helps you.

I agree, I meant the A4 glossy thing to be an example lol. I use A3 because i am not very tall so i fall over my A2 all the time. lol So i guess its whatever is best for you and your work lol

neither...

probably wont help much but my portfolio is online so I dont print anything apart from my own stationery. If someone really wants to see my PF and they dont have access to the internet then its on a cd or dvd lol

My vote would be for the A3 as well, A4 would be too small.. it's good to let your work breathe a little.

Also you may want to think about taking along examples of some printed work (providing they are not too big) and also photographing your work if it is a pack or multiple items that would benefit from it. Brainstorming and ideas pages are good as well, shows your thought processes and that you haven't stolen the work! :D

Hope this helps,
Warren

My vote would be for the A3 as well, A4 would be too small.. it's good to let your work breathe a little.

Also you may want to think about taking along examples of some printed work (providing they are not too big) and also photographing your work if it is a pack or multiple items that would benefit from it. Brainstorming and ideas pages are good as well, shows your thought processes and that you haven't stolen the work! :D

Hope this helps,
Warren

:icon_thumbup: I totally agree

I would go with A2 for interviews. Gives you room to have space around your designs and also flexibility on how you lay things out. Also make sure you include things they can hold and flick through (brochures etc). You'll find it easier if you can give them things to look through and hold as it means less attention on you and more on your work!

Pauline

Back